Help... 19 mos old wont take her meds!!!!

buneknek

Cathlete
To all mom's out here suggestions how to give a very bitter nasty medication??? I tried putting them in the apple sauce... No success! Restrained her & hold the nose as meds pout it on her mouth... She just spit them out. Pls advice!

yeah, been there.

I tried everything, doing it while she was sleeping (worked once or twice) injecting it in candy and fondu! I bribed her with anything I thought would work.

Finally, I restrained her and after she spit it out I put it right back in her mouth and held her nose and held her mouth shut tightly until she swallowed it. I should add that my dd is on the autism spectrum, so reasoning with her wasn't possible at the time. There was no language comprehension, or concept if time:confused: like before and after.

It was terrible, awful, yucky, tortuous.
From then on I always asked if she could get an injection of the meds and explained my circumstances, but if all else failed I could still restrain her.:(

Sorry you are going through this, hope it gets better.

I'm really not a big help since I don't have the experience, but have you tried grinding it up and mixing it in a food with a stronger taste? Applesauce is very mild and probably won't hide the bitter taste.

Sorry you are dealing with this :(

Did you ask your pharmacist to flavor it? They can add flavors to it to make it easier to take. Ask them what their most popular flavors are. Bubble gum is a sweet, good bet. If this doesn't work, bribery has done the trick for us. A piece of candy if she takes her meds. Hey, whatever works, right? Good luck!!!

I agree w/ Steph...call your pharmacist and ask if you can take it back in & have them flavor it. The flavoring has worked wonders for me.

Mixing it with ice cream sounds good!!! Unfortunately my 19 mos old cannot be bribe!!! Thanks for the suggestions I know i can get answer from here :)

I remember loving the grape flavored medicine as a kid. It was actually the upside to being sick!

Oh, this just brought back terrible memories !! We couldn't disguise it in anything because our DD was allergic to almost to every food.

The only thing that worked for us (oral steroids) was to restrain her and hold her nose.

I'm so sorry you are going through this!

I have no advice but can sympathize with you...

Our 4.5 year old still won't take meds. We have tried hiding them in everything...yogurt, juice, milk, etc. We now give her acetominophen (sp?) suppositories if she has a fever. Those are the only way we can get meds in her. When she has to have an antibiotic we have now resorted to the dr giving her rocephin (sp) shots in her legs. They are very painful and she knows it yet she chooses that over swallowing the delightfully flavored meds. Thank goodness her little sister loves the meds.

MadnNatsmom said:
Oh, this just brought back terrible memories !! We couldn't disguise it in anything because our DD was allergic to almost to every food.

The only thing that worked for us (oral steroids) was to restrain her and hold her nose.

I'm so sorry you are going through this!

She has been taking it (prednisone) for 4 days now & what I'm doing is putting the tablet to the yogurt, so far she hasn't notice that there's meds there. 6 weeks of prednisone that's a long time I'm glad I don't have to restrain her because I've tried that & for some reason she still spit them out. Thanks for the advice :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.