heart rate monitor ?

Chris801

Cathlete
So I was thinking of getting a heart rate monitor.
I'm not really a gadget person, but I do love my garmin for running.

I'm thinking either polar 4 or maybe even the body media link (like on biggest loser)
Does anyone have the body media?
I don't want too many features that I wont use. (like my iphone)

I just want to be honest with myself about my workouts

Thanks
Christie

I've had two polar watch/HR monitors in the past. What I didn't like .. the batteries die and need replacing. And the data is stuck on the watch.

I decided this time, I wanted a bluetooth HR monitor that works with an app on my iPhone. I chose the Polar A6. The A7 connects to gym cardio machines, but I don't use those often .. so the A6 was my choice.

I have sync'd the HR monitor to the Polar App, New Balance App, Runtastic, wahoo's HR apps .. so basically if you have a Bluetooth HR strap, it looks like it works with many types of apps.

I love the feed out on my phone. It has a decent range where I can put the phone down on a shelf and do my workout without worrying about losing a signal. I like the feedback on the Polar App that tells me what zone's I was in, for how long, and how that workout approved my fitness. Here's a link to the Polar Beat app: Polar Beat

There is a website where you can see all your data: https://flow.polar.com/training

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting something too. It needs to be simple though. I don't need more electronic confusion. What are the benefits of using one? Is the data useful? How has it improved you or your workouts? Thanks for the info!

tlc:

I've only been using my new Bluetooth band for a week, but so far my analysis have given me introspection into HOW I am working out. I'm doing the Cathe Nov Butt rotation, and like seeing the differences in how different DVD's affect the HR zones overall and total calorie count. For Example, To The Max is appropriately named :) my HR was in the MAX zone for the majority of the workout, and in the light zone 1 for only 6 minutes.

I feel like I am getting a more accurate calorie count from my workouts, where as before it was being estimated. I like being able to see HR recovery times decrease after cardio bursts, which show me a sign on increased fitness.

I don't find it confusing ... for me I have my iPhone practically with me everywhere, so adding a new app and running it in the background was no big deal. I had issues with the watches in the past, getting them to start/stop, etc. I find the app much more user friendly.

Thanks for the info that is just was I was looking for.
I ordered it on amazon yesterday!
I like the app idea!
Christie

Thanks for the info that is just was I was looking for.
I ordered it on amazon yesterday!
I like the app idea!
Christie

Happy to be an enabler :)

Now my only question is: I've been lusting after a pair of bluetooth headphones. I wonder if I can connect those AND the HR monitor at the same time! LOL

This forum is full of enablers!:) Everything from yogurt makers to heart rate monitors!
What do you do with the head phones?

Christie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.