Hearing Dog Help

HaveFun

Cathlete
I know this may be a way out there topic, but it's worth a shot. I have a close friend who is deaf and has been on a waiting list for a hearing service dog for a year and is now being told it may take up to 2 years for her to get one. Oh, and the cost will be a mere $9,000!!

I thought she could just get a puppy and have the puppy professionally trained. I've been researching online to find a dog trainer in the Miami, FL area who could do this, but no luck. Would this type of trainer exist to the general public as I'm sure there are certifications and liability to be considered. Any other ideas? TIA:)

Nevermind...just found a trainer who just added service dog training on her website. Thanks so much :)

Please remember that part of the high price of service dogs is the fact that so many puppies fail to complete the program. Buying a puppy in no ways guarantees that the individual you purchase will be able to successfully complete the training and perform at the high levels that service dogs are expected to perform.

Lisa

My friend has emailed the trainer so we can meet with her and hopefully get more information. That is a great point that many dogs probably do not even pass the program. This is so foreign to me, but I just feel so bad for my friend who has just been notified of this delay. Thanks again :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.