Has anyone tried Rebecca Small?

LauraMax

Cathlete
I'm looking for some new, very complex step & I've had one rec for Rebecca Small. Problem is, her DVDs are so darned expensive I hesitate to buy anything til I have a few more recs in my pocket. ;) Any reviews would be much appreciated!

Laura- you are hard-core, girl!! I still shudder at the thought of attempting Cathe's Step Moves again... even Cardio Fusion I nicknamed Cardio ConFusion! :cool:

Otherwise, I can't help ya on Ms. Small.

Pam

Laura -

I actually bought and tried Patrick Goudeau's Not Your Momma's Step based on your review on here. I just did it last night. I plan on getting Rob Glick's too.

I'm also a lover of complex step. I got a couple of Rebecca Small's workouts for Christmas this year. I've tried Step Mechanics and Step Revolution - Loved them. She breaks things down to the most simple steps - even going so far as to just march for 8 counts - or repeater knee for 8 counts - and then goes from there - but moves very quickly so you really don't get bored. Once you learn the combo - she throws it away - on a typical tape about 9 combinations. These were made to give instructors ideas for choreography so she'll talk about how to teach it. Not a traditional workout as there is not warm up and cool down - but that's easy to tack on. She is very likeable and a great instructor - I picked her combos up relatively easily - but sometimes it takes rewinding and watching. I would give her a try - I actually plan on getting more of her. Hope that helps.

Laura -

I actually bought and tried Patrick Goudeau's Not Your Momma's Step based on your review on here. I just did it last night. I plan on getting Rob Glick's too.

I'm also a lover of complex step. I got a couple of Rebecca Small's workouts for Christmas this year. I've tried Step Mechanics and Step Revolution - Loved them. She breaks things down to the most simple steps - even going so far as to just march for 8 counts - or repeater knee for 8 counts - and then goes from there - but moves very quickly so you really don't get bored. Once you learn the combo - she throws it away - on a typical tape about 9 combinations. These were made to give instructors ideas for choreography so she'll talk about how to teach it. Not a traditional workout as there is not warm up and cool down - but that's easy to tack on. She is very likeable and a great instructor - I picked her combos up relatively easily - but sometimes it takes rewinding and watching. I would give her a try - I actually plan on getting more of her. Hope that helps.

Thanks Shoegal! That helps a lot! She sounds similar to Rob Glick & Goudeaux. And once you know the routine you can jump right into a combo with out all that marching in the middle.

I checked out some clips on youtube. That chick seriously needs a few bowls of pasta! LOL! And the one thing I do not like about Evolution is the sets are so dark. It's kind of depressing & not as motivating as, say, Cathe's background. That said, a minor issue if the workouts are fun.

I think I'm gonna try Step Revolution & Symmetrical Step first. I'll build my Rebecca collection from there if I like them enough. $25 for a DVD is tough to swallow when you're used to spending $15. ;)

Pam, not so hardcore, I've just been doing this for so long I think I've done every single step DVD I own at least 200 times. I'm bored to tears & need to mix it up a little!

OK, I just had to leave a quick review........LOOOOOOOOOVE THIS WOMAN! OMG! So.Much.Fun. I've done Super Step a couple of times & cannot stop......of course it took me 4 previews before I'd even attempt it, but boy is it a blast! I've previewed Step Revolution twice now. I think one more time & I can give it a go, now that I'm used to her style & moves.

You know what's really cool about her is she's basically teaching you how to teach step. She's got me seriously considering getting a group exercise cert b/c I finally understand what a 32 count is LOL. :D The way she breaks down the combos & her cuing is absolutely amazing. She is extremely talented, possibly even the best step instructor I've ever had the pleasure of "meeting." ;)

I think I'll own all of her step DVDs by summer. :cool:

It depends on what you consider advanced. Intensity-wise I'd say no, not really. My HR stays in the high 140s for most of the workout. Choreography-wise, I'd say GOD YES they are extremely advanced! :D

112toGuru, you know you'll read every single post I ever make again. :p;):cool:

I just previewed Evolution Step Mechanic. The music alone is great, never mind the routine. I.must.purchase...:D

Oh and btw, I just received Tracey's Steady State Step in the mail yesterday. You guys are killin' me....;)

I just previewed Evolution Step Mechanic. The music alone is great, never mind the routine. I.must.purchase...:D

Oh and btw, I just received Tracey's Steady State Step in the mail yesterday. You guys are killin' me....;)

Step away from the credit card, turn off the....;)

I bought Step 2 Success & loved it! I did the dvd all the way thru the first time, but when I did it the second time, I could actually do all the turns.

She does use really awesome music. And I'm not normally one to even notice the music, but her stuff jams.

Glad you guys are enjoying her as much as I am. Have you noticed how familiar certain moves are? ;) It is now crystal clear to me that Tracey, Amy & Patrick have all been very heavily influenced by her.

Laura- you are hard-core, girl!! I still shudder at the thought of attempting Cathe's Step Moves again... even Cardio Fusion I nicknamed Cardio ConFusion! :cool:

Pam

I must say I am relieved to hear that I wasn't the only one who has struggled with Step Moves!:eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.