Has anyone tried Kundalini Yoga?

LCFree

I've been checking out the Ana Brett Kundalini yoga practices on Amazon. They all have rave reviews--each one 5 stars from all the reviewers. Has anyone tried them? I've never tried Kundalini Yoga--actually I'd never even heard of it. But all the reviewers say how wonderful it is.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,

Carol F

Carol,

Without knowing anything, really, about this style of yoga, I recently bought two of those DVDs after seeing the rave reviews on Amazon and discovered that kundalini is not for me. I skim-previewed both and tried to keep an open mind, but when I attempted to *do* the workout, I just found it to be too "out there" for my tastes.

Example: in Ultimate Stretch, you start out doing some chanting in prayer pose, then move into meditation followed by breathing exercises. For the breathing exercise, you are seated cross-legged with your hands resting on your knees, thumb and forefinger pressed together. You then inhale sharply ten times as you lift your hands up to your forehead with "jerky" movements; then you put your palms together and lower your arms/hands to the beginning position. Then repeat for several minutes. To me, these seemed to go on forever.

In another section, you are standing with your feet spread apart. You make fists with both hands and thrust your arms backward, then tap your diaphragm, bend forward and touch your hands to the ground, and then lift up and tap your sternum. This is done quickly, and is repeated over and over...

Honestly, I didn't last through the entire workout. I am not knocking it for others (obviously, it is extremely popular), but it is just not my preferred style. Give me straight-up hatha yoga any day.

Cathy :)

It's definitely not for everyone and is VERY much different than traditional Hatha, Vinyasa flow, etc. It is in a class of it's own. I like how it works on your glandular balance and state of mind. I also like the breath of fire and some of the postures in it. I have grown to like it. I do a mix of Hatha, Vinyasa Flow and Kundalini and find it works for me.

It's totally a personal preference and I think it's either a love or hate type of thing. I own all of the Ravi & Ana's and really like them cuz most of them can be done in 20 minute segments.

Maybe you can try getting one to try from your local library or a cheap copy off of Ebay to see if you click with it, as it's very BIZARRE to see when you first see it and do it. It really needs to be experienced though.

You can research over at VideoFitness and there are many threads on the subject to read.

It's not my cup of tea.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

0607_10008295321.gif

It really is a love/hate thing, and I'm in the LOVE LOVE LOVE IT category. I discovered Kundalini about 2 months ago and felt like it was the program I've been looking for all my life. Its VERY different, though, no other workout comes close to it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.