Has anyone ever broken a toe?

Shelbygirl

Cathlete
Hello Everyone.

For those of you who have had broken toes, how long was it before you were able to get back to your regular workouts (workouts like step, kickbox and lower body exercises such as lunges)?

Thanks,
Shelbygirl

I have not but DH has twice. Nothing you can really do about it and I don't think a doctor can either. You just need to be easy on it. It may take 4-6 weeks...sorry to say! Play it by ear and if part of your workout hurts...stop.

Have you considered alternate forms of cardio? Exercise bike may be easier if you position your foot so that your toes do not push off the pedal. Swimming may be your best bet. Join the Y for a month and get your cardio in that way. Just an idea...

Yes you have Sarah--I read somewhere that people break their toes an average of 450 times during their life without even knowing it. :eek: The bones in your toes are so tiny you fracture them pretty much every time you stub a toe.

Anyway I've had some major stubs--once I took of the entire top part of my pinky toe, boy was that bloody & painful--but I got back to working out as soon as I felt OK. I don't think you can set a timeline b/c each break is different.

Do you know it's broken, have you had x-rays?? Are you taping the broken toe to the nextdoor non-broken toe?

I'd say take it easy on the feet for 2 weeks at least, but it all depends on the break. If you haven't seen a podiatrist, take a trip and get their professional recommendation.

Good luck!!

Ouchie! Should be a couple of weeks and keep it taped. Poor tootisie! If you get on it too early, you will know. It HURTS.

Hope it is better soon.
Melissa

I am so sorry to hear you broke your toe. I broke my toe 2 yrs ago. I taped it was easy on it for a couple of weeks. I continued to tape it for cardio workouts for about a month. But it really took about a year for it to heal completely because I re-injured it twice - just bareyly stubbing it and the pain started all over again. Hope yours does not last as long!

Jooge

Crap, I was thinking a broken toe was going to be a short term thing. Do you still need to tape it if it's the big toe? I was at least able to ride a stationary bike today with no trouble. Do you guys think I'd be able to attend a spinning class, or would I be pushing my luck (since you do have to stand quite a bit). I'm able to walk pretty well if I wear sneakers, but I don't know about the spinning class.

Thanks for all your kind words,
Shelbygirl

Yes, and it stings like the dickens! I play soccer, so I've probably broken them several times. All you can do is tape it to its neighboring toe and wear hard soled shoes. I had to play through the pain. It does get better, though.

Thomas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.