Hard & Heavy ?

112toGuru

Cathlete
What do you consider a heavy weight workout? or heavy weights? for women? for men?

Tonique or P57, which is harder & why? What level would you consider these workouts?

Anyone combine heavy weights & Tonique or P57?

As far as weights go, heavy is an individual call. For some a 10 lb bent over row is heavy. For others a 70 lb bent over row is heavy. I've only done P57. I consider them intermediate to advanced. For someone not familiar with barre moves, I think it would be an advanced workout. I have a couple of Tonique dvds. I haven't done them yet, so I can't comment. (However I think her Hawaii dvd was a ripoff. $85? Not so much, after watching the previews) Maybe she took a lavish extended vacation to Hawaii, and decided to film a few moves, and make a dvd, to pay for the trip. Just sayin'. I digress. Heavy weights, and Tonique or P57? Might be interesting. If you are thinking about it, go for it, let the forum know how it works for you! I would be interested.

Last edited:
If you had a 4-day split for heavy weights (2 days UB, 2 LB, with one main lift per session [squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press] plus accessory moves) you could probably squeeze in a couple barre seshes. This is totally off the cuff, so I imagine someone can make the puzzle fit better:
Mon LB Deads
Tue Barre
Wed UB Bench
Thu LB Squat
Fri UB OH Press
Sat Barre
Sun Off

Re: what's 'heavy', Karen is right, it's all individual. However, I found the chart on this page interesting:
http://bretcontreras.com/female-strength-levels/

ETA: Ugh, I just read that whole article. Yuck to the photo at the end. Nothing personal to Jamie Eason, just creepy photo selection.

Last edited:
Thanks desertambrosia, wondered whether or not one or the other works better with lifting heavy, or is more or less cardio. All three things are outside of what I have done, with the exception of Slow & Heavy, that for me is heavy weights in word & deed.

MomInVt - the article and chart is interesting to ballpark it. I don't know if I'll do it, but wondered how it does works for someone who does, in a pros & cons kinda of way. Hiit was always kind of over the top for me, with heavier weights.

I'm presently what I would describe as an beginning intermediate - intermediate intermediate for lifting & what is working for me as "heavy" is what I can lift while being spent on the last 2 reps in 7 reps. There are many, many other ways to measure heavy though like the 1RM which Cathe is using. Perhaps when I get more advanced, I will employ this but for now, it's a bit complicated for me. lol.
I do think the numbers Cathe uses in S & H is a great tool. I have been using this as well. :)

If you had a 4-day split for heavy weights (2 days UB, 2 LB, with one main lift per session [squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press] plus accessory moves) you could probably squeeze in a couple barre seshes. This is totally off the cuff, so I imagine someone can make the puzzle fit better:
Mon LB Deads
Tue Barre
Wed UB Bench
Thu LB Squat
Fri UB OH Press
Sat Barre
Sun Off

Re: what's 'heavy', Karen is right, it's all individual. However, I found the chart on this page interesting:

ETA: Ugh, I just read that whole article. Yuck to the photo at the end. Nothing personal to Jamie Eason, just creepy photo selection.

Agreed on photo of Jamie Eason. It's one thing for HER to post that photo on HER website but for Bret Contreras to do it? But then again, even if I had an ass like hers, complete with butt floss, I still wouldn't be comfortable displaying it for all the world to see online and make asinine comments, as some do and did. You have no control over the viewer --the male gaze-- so why do it? Exhibitionism?

Clare

Mon LB Deads
Tue Barre
Wed UB Bench
Thu LB Squat
Fri UB OH Press
Sat Barre
Sun Off

Thanks for the article. I fall into the advanced category. This makes me happy, and will be a good reminder on those days when it isn't there for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.