gym style weights differ from slow heavy?

Kitterfly

Cathlete
just had a quick question :D i new to all this so please forgive me if the the answer is obvious:p- i have done slow and heavy for a rotation or two. I just got gym style arms and noticed that I cant lift nearly as much as I could in slow and heavy? for example say chest press- i could do say 40lbs x3 sets and in gym barely 30lb for 3 sets and even had the drop to using 12lbs? i was a little confused by this, same went for the flys etc. The biceps and back gym dvd i never got sore but couldnt lift and more wt if i tried? I got sore with slow /heavy. but the chest and triceps gym style feel likes its gonna be a hurting tormorrow? anyways justa wondering what the answer was to why?
and one other question while I'm here- is it okay to do say Hiit twice a week after the gym styles- i think i saw a thread somewhere but couldnt find it Thanks in advance;)

just had a quick question :D i new to all this so please forgive me if the the answer is obvious:p- i have done slow and heavy for a rotation or two. I just got gym style arms and noticed that I cant lift nearly as much as I could in slow and heavy? for example say chest press- i could do say 40lbs x3 sets and in gym barely 30lb for 3 sets and even had the drop to using 12lbs? i was a little confused by this, same went for the flys etc. The biceps and back gym dvd i never got sore but couldnt lift and more wt if i tried? I got sore with slow /heavy. but the chest and triceps gym style feel likes its gonna be a hurting tormorrow? anyways justa wondering what the answer was to why?
and one other question while I'm here- is it okay to do say Hiit twice a week after the gym styles- i think i saw a thread somewhere but couldnt find it Thanks in advance;)

To clarify your questions:

You went heavier in Slow and Heavy than Gym Styles and you are wondering why that is possible?

With regard to the HIIT question, are you referring to doing HIIT cardio after weight training in the same week?

Last edited:
Slow and Heavy is sets of 6 reps, while Gym Styles has a higher rep range. No one would be able to lift the same weights for both workouts (unless they slowed down speed and decreased the number of reps in GS).

You can also think of Gym Styles as being more endurance based training and Slow & Heavy more hypertrophy (muscle building) based. Someone else with more knowledge can probably explain the difference better; but, when you are doing hypertrophy workouts, the goal is to lift the heaviest weight you can for 6-8 reps which should put you at about failure. With endurance workouts, you are lifting for 8-12 reps of a heavy but more moderate weight. I believe these two techniques are used in the different mesocycles of STS (although I am still working on getting it :().

Also, I have done 2 Hiit workouts per week but spaced them out by 2-3 days. I did them in the morning and then did my weight work in the evening. Doing it right after Gym Styles would have been too lengthy of a workout for me and too tiring. I have also heard from some personal trainers that if you are capable of doing cardio after a lifting session, you may not be working to your full potential during that session. Not sure how much stock to put in that and it probably depends on your own personal goals.

Happy lifting!

Thanks for the information! Makes more sense to me now! Very helpful! I was thinking about doing the Hiit cardio 30/30 etc after gym style arms at least once to twice a week. For some reason on the arm weights days that are only 45 minutes I feel I need to throw some cardio in. My schedule doesnt allow my workouts to be broken up during the day. Thanks again

You can also think of Gym Styles as being more endurance based training and Slow & Heavy more hypertrophy (muscle building) based. Someone else with more knowledge can probably explain the difference better; but, when you are doing hypertrophy workouts, the goal is to lift the heaviest weight you can for 6-8 reps which should put you at about failure. With endurance workouts, you are lifting for 8-12 reps of a heavy but more moderate weight.
Actually, it's more like:
Strength: 4-8 reps
Hypertrophy: 8-12 reps
Endurance: over 12 reps

Actually, it's more like:
Strength: 4-8 reps
Hypertrophy: 8-12 reps
Endurance: over 12 reps

Thanks Kathryn! I wasn't sure I had it right and didn't have my reference material with me but I knew there was a reason you could go heavier with less reps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.