Great book? The Secret Life of Bees

I am quite late to this one, but just started reading it and was hooked after the first 3 pages!! I love this book so far! I am sure that many have recommended it on here before in the beloved book threads (that I have a love/hate relationship with...I know that you agree with me!!!), but it was just lent to me and it is such a great summer read!

What are you reading now? :)
Jenn

Wonderful read. Love Secret Life of Bees. Just finished Sarah's Key which was about the French police who rounded up its Jewish population in WWII and sent them to death camps. Really good read also.

I've read The Secret Life of Bees, and I loved it. Currently I am in the middle of many books....

Professionally (I am a teacher), I am reading "Spaces and Places" by Debbie Diller, "The Daily 5" and "Literacy Cafe" by The Sisters

For Fun: I am currently in the middle of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series (the HBO series True Blood is based on these books). The book I am on now is "Definitely Dead".

I also picked up "Lifeguard" by James Patterson (and someone else) free at the local library. I started that the other night.

"The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" is my next read when I am finished with the Sookie Stackhouse books. I've heard this book is very profound!

I loved Secret Lives of Bees, both the movie & the book! I am reading Eat Love Pray right now...there's 3 diff sections to the book where she is in 3 diff locations. I liked the first one but not as excited about the last two...but, have to finish it to make a def decision. I can't wait to see the movie starring Julia Roberts.

Jaypea~ I am also a teacher and have read all three of those books in the last year! When I read "Spaces and Places" by Debbie Diller, I was tempted to spend $1,000 and completely revamp my classroom, but I picked several ideas from the book and implemented them this year. I am now ready to add more this year and tweak the ones I started last year. You will love the pictures included in her book! She makes it so easy to implement the ideas!

"The Daily 5" and "Literacy Cafe" by The Sisters are both very good books. Again with these, you may feel overwhelmed. I chose to implement all of the ideas in Daily 5 last year and just a bit with the Cafe. Doing both, for me, was way too much to try new in one year. I am in my 15th year of teaching, but I like to do things well, and for me, that meant going slow with adding new methods (We added a lot of new RTI methods this year in my district, too)!

I also just finished all of the Sookie Stackhouse books and I absolutely loved them!! Such great reads!

And, Debbie...I just bought "Eat, Love, Pray" yesterday. It will be my next read.

Also just finished a book about Elizabeth deMedici that was very interesting. It was my first for-pleasure history novel and I really enjoyed it!

Enjoy your books!
Jenn :)

Jenn-What grade do you teach? I teach 1st in PA. I've had Daily 5 for a few years, and I actually am currently hosting a book club for teachers in the district where I work. It's great to come together and talk about the ideas. I've tweaked it somewhat to work for me. CAFE is new to me (the whole reading workshop format instead of trad. guided reading). I can definitely see how the r. workshop would be more effective, though.
Sorry to jump in this thread, but I saw your post and had to respond. I always love talking to other teachers!
-Jen

This post couldn't have come at better time. I am trying to find a new book to read.

I am currently trying to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on my iphone kindle and for the life of me can not get into it. I know so many have enjoyed it but I'm having a difficult time with this one. :eek:

Jenn

Saw the film of "Secret Life" as in-flight movie, thought it was quite good. Book is probably a whole lot more profound.

In May, I read "the Help" which was just fabulous. Recently, finished both of Linda Castillo's thriller books, with psychological drama, called "Sworn to Silence" and "Pray for Silence." If you like Tess Gerritsen and Lee Child, try these.

Also just I have just read Inger Ash Wolfe's (pseudonym of famous writer now trying her hand at detective fiction/thrillers) "The Calling" and she has a new one out called "The Taken" which I already have on reserve at my local library.

One of my fave authors, the Irish Tana French has a new thriller/mystery called"faithful Place" which we all need to get our hands on immediately as she is just an excellent writer. (Start with "The Likeness").

I have also just read the new Jennifer Weiner book, "Fly Away Home," about the politician's wife and daughters in the aftermath of his affair hitting the media. Read it and die laughing at the Thanksgiving dinner scene near the end.

Also, this week, just finished Barbara Delinsky's "Not My Daughter" which had me screaming at different characters alternately for their moronic ideas and hypocritical morality in small town Maine. What do you do when your 17 year old daughter comes home, pregnant, and she has made a pact with her school friends to all get pregnant together, and you are the High School principal and you got pregnant and had a kid at 17 also, and now everyone is putting you on trial and calling for your resignation on the grounds of being, publically, a "bad mother"?

I have about three million more books on my "must read" list...........gotta get to them all!

Clare

no one mentioned my favorite book...Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Can't think of the author offhand, though...sorry! Great read!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.