Google Chromecast

cher54

Cathlete
I've been using my computer connected to my tv via an hdmi cable but still lots of buffering issues. I'm curious as to how useful google chromecast is as a streaming device?

Would also like some input on which is best...trying to set up iPad with cables etc, or getting a Chromecast?
I use the apple hdmi cable connector and have never had a problem. Before that, I used the apple composite cables to hook up to my really old tv and that worked well also.

I also use the apple hdmi cable connector with my ipad mini and it works excellent. I also use a chromebook with hdmi cable and that
works excellent as well. Sorry, don't know about the chromecast but I do know that the chrome OS works excellent.

I've used Chromecast for CatheLive since CatheLive began & it's worked great for me. Set up is easy - you just download the Chromecast app to your device and input your wifi password. The Chromecast plugs into a usb port on your TV. Once you have the program that you want to cast up on your device, you click on an icon that is part of the Chromecast app and it replicates it on the TV. HTH

So... I just signed up for Cathe Live. I got a Chromecast from Best buy. Then I hooked up the chromecast device to my tv. Then installed the app to my Nook (which is actually a Samsung Galaxy tablet). I went through the set up process and was ready to go. I signed into my Cathe account and played a live workout. Then I downloaded the chromecast app onto my I phone, logged into the Cathe live workouts and tried to play one. It didn't work. It played on my phone but didn't "cast" onto the tv. It's probably not a big deal. I'm just wondering what I did wrong. Also, what the quickest way to get to a live workout? Do I just log in and choose? I know I have to make sure that the TV is on HDMI (input). Whats the purpose of the chromecast app?

Peg,

From what I understand ( and I am a novice at this as well!), the Chromecast app is what allows the picture from your tablet to show on the TV without using any actual cables. It uses your network to cast it to the TV. I am not sure why it didn;t work with your iPhone. I have the app and Google Chrome on my LG phone and use that to cast. I also put it on my iPad and can cast from there if I want as well. I had to spend some time with a tech person on the phone from Google to assist me, but now it's working fine, I actually prefer using my LG phone to cast. If you go on the Chromecast site, there is a help line and they were great.

It took a couple of times to get the "order" on how to play a workout....for me, I open Google Chrome, which keeps my Cathe Live sign in right there, sign in, then you are on the Cathe Live page. The button that says something about showing your On Demand workouts shows up.....this got confusing because I don't have On Demand....but it also displays the Live workout list)....you can either scroll the list, or try to use the filters to find one that you ant, but it's way easier if you know the name of the workout before so you can key it in. There is a great document that one of the Cathletes has put together, has all of them listed with equipment needed, description etc. I can find the link and put it here. Also the site has been working on some type of easier selection, but I have not looked at it yet.

I am sure others here have more experience and can help, they sure did help me when I was starting out with it. :)

Last edited:
Are you going through the Chromecast app to begin with? You have to start the process through them, not Cathe Live.
Go to Chromecast. Use their search window to type in a Cathe Live. I usually type Cathe Streaming, and one pops up. Click on that. It will bring you to the Cathe Live page. Click on "my account". Then on "my on demand videos". Once you find which video you want, click on it. Then click the video to play. It takes a few seconds, but then at the bottom of your phone screen you will see the window to cast fill with a bunch of words. Click that, and it should cast to your TV.

I have "chrome" (what I use to connect to the internet) on my tablet plus the chromecast app. I got the chromecast app downloaded onto my Iphone BUT it uses "safari" to connect to the internet. I wonder if THAT'S the problem. Do I need to download chrome to my phone? Is that even possible? I was able to get a workout from my tablet without going through the app. Perhaps I need to go thru the chrome app on my phone if I choose to use my phone to stream. Does that make sense? Honestly I'll probably use my tablet anyway because....it's 530am....I'm usually still tired....my eyes are too!!! The tablet has a bigger screen of course and that makes it easier.

Another question...Once the video is playing on my TV, my tablet goes dark. If I tap the screen, a square block comes up but no video. At the bottom of that square block I am able to pause but not fast forward or rewind a bit. Is that something that we can't do?

Last edited:
Mine uses safari as well, and works fine. You have to go through the Chromecast app to make it work. Or at least that is my experience.
You are only able to pause. I think the fast forward/rewind is an additional charge.

Thanks Gratefuldog, I'll try it and see what happens. It's not a major issue as I can get the wkouts on my tablet. I'm brand dew to this endeavor and want to know what I'm dealing with and what I can use. It's all very exciting too!! I just don't understand a lot of the terminology and THAT completely screws me up!!

I use Chromecast to stream my videos on the WB through my laptop to my TV. I have no issues and I love it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I forgot to mention, if you stream it from your laptop to your TV you'll need to download the Google Chromecast for desktop. Type in as that otherwise you'll get a lot of junk hits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another question...Once the video is playing on my TV, my tablet goes dark. If I tap the screen, a square block comes up but no video. At the bottom of that square block I am able to pause but not fast forward or rewind a bit. Is that something that we can't do?

This is how it works for me as well with using Chromecast and an Android phone. It has something to do with "casting" instead of "mirroring". I had it "mirroring" and it was not working right at all. He helped me get it to "casting" mode and it works like you described above. I can "pause" from the phone, but cannot fast forward or rewind. I saw that this is normal if you Google this and read others experiences with Chromecast. I was just happy that I could "pause" the video! :)

I gotta say.....I LOVE my fellow Cathletes!! You've helped me and guided me step by step to get this streaming thing down. I'm just doing "live" for now. I'm not ready for the "on demand" yet. I still love my dvd's. Thank you so much everyone for all your help! I'm betting I'll be back w/ more questions though....

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.