Good beach reads

mrsmel

Cathlete
Hi, all, I'm going on vacation to the beach in Mexico at the end of January/beginning of February. I need to take several books along, I usually run through about 6-10 on a weeklong trip. We're going snorkeling and to see ruins, but other than that the point of this trip is to relax and do nothing.

I've read all the Janet Evanovich books (when I went to Tybee Island) and Martha Grimes (unless she has something really recent out). I like just about anything, but prefer light reading for these kinds of trips. Elinor Lipman, for example. I've read several of hers on other trips.

Any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance.

anne

My library is very small so I just pull what they have available. I just finished a book by Jane Green - The beach House and did enjoy it. I'm working on a mystery by Brian Freeman - Stalked and it's not a bad read.

Klaudia, do you mean When You Are Engulfed in Flames? I did read that one, but maybe I'll read it again. Or some of his other stuff. I don't remember what I've read, so I don't mind reading things again. Thanks for thinking of that!

anne

I can't remember if we talked about Diana Gabaldon-not exactly a beach read, but really good. I'm still thinking...

Here are some other mysteries/thrillers that you might like.

Sue Grafton - Alphabet series
Sara Paresky - V. I. Warshawski series
Lee Child -Jack Reacher Series
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch
John D. MacDonald - Travis McGee series (oldies but goodies)
Greg Iles

Other goodies:
Big City, Bad Blood - Sean Chercover
In Her Shoes - Jennifer Weiner
The Song Reader - Lisa Tucker
The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks, parkercp.

Klaudia, I don't remember Gabaldon, what did she write?

Jane, thanks! I'll look into those.

I like mysteries, but can get tired of a series if I read too many of them in a row. I really like books with some humor in them, like Evanovich does. I'm also a big fan of travel writing, like Bill Bryson and Tim Cahill. Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

anne

Have you read the Twilight series yet? It's a series of 4 books by Stephanie Meyer. The movie of Twilight came out a few months ago. They are vampire books, but they read more like chick-lit. They appeal a lot to the teenage set, but surprisingly they kept me entertained. It is very quick, easy and entertaining reading. I do not like science fiction or vampire books, but I LOVED these. I read all 4 in two weeks.

I also really enjoyed The Other Bolyen Girl (story of Anne Bolyen). It is thick, but incredibly entertaining. Again, not "literature" but great fun.

I second the recommendation for the Twilight books. I just started reading them and I can't put them down and I do not like vampire books! They are very entertaining!
Ellen

If you like Janet Evanovich you might try:

Nancy Martin's the Blackbird Sisters Mysteries
Leann Sweeney's Yellow Rose Mysteries
Susan McBride's Debutante Mysteries
Stephanie Bond's body Movers Mysteries

All are good quick reads that are perfect for vacation.

Tami Hoag has good mysteries but they sometimes get a little too chilling for me at times.

Diana Gabaldon wrote the Outlander series. It's historical fiction about a British woman from WWII who travels back in time and falls in love with a Scottish soldier. They are the BEST books-a great love story, wry humor, great history woven in-you will get hooked!

Thanks, everybody! I have a long wish list on Amazon now! I'll see what my library has in a couple of weeks. I appreciate the suggestions.

anne

Diana Gabaldon wrote the Outlander series. It's historical fiction about a British woman from WWII who travels back in time and falls in love with a Scottish soldier. They are the BEST books-a great love story, wry humor, great history woven in-you will get hooked!

These were recently recommended to me. I hope to get started on these. I really like historical fiction.

Not to lengthen your list, but Kate Atkinson is another author you might consider. She's a bit off the beaten path for Americans. She was born in this country but lives in Scotland now. She won the Whitbread prize for her first novel, but the beach-y books on my list are her series of three (so far) about former Scottish detective Jackson Brodie. Deee-licious! Literate, intricate, fun, smart, hilarious, utterly absorbing. I alternate between gasping at the plot turns and laughing out loud at the witticisms when I read her work!

I just received her latest, entitled "When Will There Be Good News" and am taking it with me on a beach vacation to Belize next week. Cannot wait! Just read the reviews on Amazon to get a taste of what she has to offer.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.