Getting rid of Knee Fat

KimDW

Cathlete
What are some exercises that help to get rid of that knee fat? Also, when I do dead lifts I always seem to feel it in my lower back. I try to suck my tummy in to support my back. Am I doing them wrong?
Thanks,
Kim

How do you guys get that cute little lifting the barbell icon?

Hi Kim...I can relate...even when my weight is down and I'm in great shape...I still have the knee fat..:(...I do say jokingly that the knee fat is what prevents knee problems as some of my knobby knee friends have knee problems and I haven't..and I am also a runner...:)...I have always thought leg extensions (on a weight bench) target that area best. I bet there will be other opinions too..I think with the deadlifts it just takes practice. Make sure your shoulders are back and not rounded when you go down. I keep a very slight bend in my knee and I do feel it in my hamstrings and glutes. ...Carole

Hi Kim,

I think you are supposed to feel dead lifts a little in your lower back. Your lower back & abs help you bend over & lift up. In one of Cathe's videos, Power Hour or PS Legs & Abs, she says something about feeling it in the lower back & quads, a "double bonus."

Gina

Hi Kim, The barbell dead lifts with overhead presses that Cathe does in Muscle Endurance are the ones I have to be very careful with as far as hurting my lower back. I really hurt my back once using 40 lbs, so I lowered the weight to 30 lbs which really made an improvement. Also, since lowering the barbell to 30 lbs, I can concentrate on keeping my shoulders back, back straight and maintaining a very slight bend in the knees. (Don't forget to press down through your heals when you come up.) Hope that helps.
About knee fat - I don't know - sorry.
Kelly

>What are some exercises that help to get rid of that knee
>fat? Also, when I do dead lifts I always seem to feel it in my
>lower back. I try to suck my tummy in to support my back. Am
>I doing them wrong?

Kim,
To help tone the knee area, biking is great. Otherwise, just lowering your total body fat through careful eating and exercise (cardio and weights) will help.

With deadlifts, the lower back is working isometrically to keep your upper body stable. You are right to engage your abs when doing these to add stability to the core(instead of "sucking in your tummy" or holding it in like you do when trying to zip up a small pair of pants, you can also think of pulling in a corset--even if you've never worn one, you can imagine what that would do...kind of an "all-around" pull in of the core).

Make sure that your upper body is staying in the same position throughout the move and you are bending at the hips, not the waist. Keep your shoulders back and down and your chest out and up a bit (I like to think of the perfect deadlift position as one of those toy birds that dunks it's beak in a glass of water and then bobs up. The only movement comes at the hip, and the upper body stays in the same position throughout.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.