general questions - ttc

winter2b

Cathlete
Hi all,

Hubby and I are going to start ttc. Well...that is if I'm not already. I'm due to start this week, but nothing so far...other than fatigue and headaches and a few small "pingy-like" cramps. Anyhow - Ideally I'd like to get myself in better shape before we start trying, but if it happens - are you still able to keep working out? I know that obviously the focus would shift from losing weight to being healthy, but are there restrictions on what types of exercise you can do? Also - do I need to stop drinking completely? I know that is ideal...but if it doens't happen for 3-4 months or more, do I need to be giving up my glass of wine or cocktail?

I started taking a regular "mega woman's vitamin". Do you think this is ok, or should it be an actual "prenatal"? I'd love to hear from you "experts". I am hoping to be a board member before too long!

Amy

I'll try to answer your questions, but I'm no professional:)

1. Yes, most women can keep working out, listening to their bodies for cues as to intensity, impact, weight lifted, etc...

2. If I were trying to conceive and were a drinker, I would stop completely, but I tend not to be a risk taker. The early days of pregnancy are when the baby is most vulnerable. JMHO

3. I think the vitamin you are taking is fine as long as you are getting enough iron and folate or folic "?"--i'm having a bout of "pregnant brain"--folic acid, I think?

I started my fifth pregnancy about 25-30 lbs overweight and worked out with Cathe for the whole thing, modifying as needed. I was able to lose all the baby weight and then some 23 extra lbs post partum. Now I am pregnant with our 6th and although I am gaining more than I wold like, I am staying in the habit of exercising as intensely as my body will allow.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

Maggie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.