funeral etiquette question

jdoll

Cathlete
Hey ladies.....i got a call at 7am this morning that one of my friend's father passed away last night. he has been sick for a while now. This friend of mine and i used to be very close, but not so much now. he got married and i talk to his wife regularly, but not him. So my question is, do you think it would be appropriate for me to just go to the visitation and Not the funeral? That way, i am showing support and respect for the family of my friend and him as well.....if i go to the funeral, i am likely to see a load of people that i do not associate with anymore and it would be uncomfortable to say the least. visitation only is what i am leaning towards...think that would be ok?

jes

Somepeople call it a "viewing" or a "wake" it occurs the day before the funeral so that you can visit with the family.......

jes

Yes, I think that would be fine. Truthfully you probably would not be missed at the funeral (no offense intended here--I would think the family would be too wrapped up in their own grief to notice), but your presence at the visitation would no doubt be appreciated.

Yes it is appropriate to go to either one you do not have to go to both that is why they have 2 things or at least what I believe. I often go to just the funerals because to me they are less hard as you go to church and really do not have to talk but many times I have just atteneded visitations because I could not make a funeral.
Lisa

I would pay my respects to the immediate family, sign the guestbook and leave..if you are looking for a 'visitation'.

I don't care for viewings after my beloved brother passed away. Too many times at other viewings in my past expirence tend to try to outdo themselves and think it's a time for a social gathering...joking,talking; basically having a party drinking and such and not have any consideration or respect for the family's loss. But this is my humble opinion.

I think that is quite acceptable/appropriate to only attend the wake. I only attend the actual funerals for VERY close family and friends otherwise I show my sympathy and pay my respects at the wake. There is nothing wrong with that. I think that is what a lot of people do.

~Wendy~

We don't stop laughing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop laughing...Put more laughter into your life.

I think that would be okay. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Around here there seems to be a trend toward going to the visitation instead od the funeral(unless, of course, the deceased was a very close friend or relative).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.