?Form for push ups?

cocob1

Cathlete
I wonder if I've been doing push ups wrong ( both on knees, & toes).Any recommendations as to where to find info on correct form? I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder last year and it was a long journey back and I was doing great for 8 months but I've now got issues with my left shoulder. i didn't have problems until I went back to doing Circuits and Total Body workouts with lots of full push ups and especially the new moves on MMA and I wonder if I'm doing them wrong. ie, where elbows go, how low to go, how to position my shoulders and scapulae properly.
Any way, any input is greatly appreciated.
I did know enough to back off and take a rest this time before I tear something again. I tend to just push through instead of back off for a rest. :eek:

Cathe has AMAZING form when she does push ups. If you have access to a full sized mirror then that would help. I know I'm not doing them right if I don't feel my abs contracted but as Cathe always says "listen to your body." If you feel pain stop and start slowly esp since you've had surgery. Try not to look down to much or you'll lose your alignment.

instead of doing the workout I'll take time to watch Cathe more carefully ... she is amazing with her form.

My physical therapist always says to make sure not to go nose to the floor. you want your upper arms to be parallel with the floor and that your shoulders shouldn't go below your elbow height. Says he sees lot of shoulder injuries from that and from doing overhead presses completely vertical by the ears (not with your hands a little forward so they are in your peripheral vision). Hope that helps.

Shelby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.