foreign adoption

hopefull

Cathlete
My daughter has been in Bolivia working in an orphange and has fallen in love with a little 6 year old boy who has cerbral palsy. He is very bright, but has serious language problems and paraysis on the left side. We are looking into the possibility of adopting him. He was abandoned when he was 4. The red tape is daunting. We've been told not to go through an agency. That doing so would triple or quadruple the cost of adopting. Has anyone out there gone through this process. We have people in Bolivia waiting to help us, but they have already been offered an underhanded deal that they would not accept and neither would we. We will only do this if we can do it legitimately. The miracle here is that the United States became part of the Hague Convention in April making adoptions between Bolivia and the United States possible for the first time. Advice is welcome along with prayers. Thanks!

I don't have any advice, but God bless you for your willingness to adopt a special needs child. There's a special place in heaven for people like you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :)

I don't have any advice either, but as the mother of a special needs child (down syndrome) I second what Michele said. I will pray for you. Please keep us posted.

Maggie:)

I have no experience adopting through foreign channels, but wanted to offer my support and prayers. I am a mom by birth, one son, and by domestic adoption of 3 special needs boys via foster care. One has CP.

Please feel free to message me if I can be of any help or support.

I have no advice for you in terms of the adoption, but I wanted to mention that if they do go through with it there are augmentative communication devices for children (and adults) who can't speak. (Like little computers that attach to wheelchairs or can be carried around)
Even if his motor skills are almost non-existent, there are ways these devices can be used. A speech-language pathologist will be able to help you :)

Good luck!
Wendy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.