For those of you doing Insanity or have done it

shorty68

For those of you doing Insanity or have done Insanity, how do you incorporate weights and abs into your workouts...do you do total body, once per week, high reps, heavy...etc???? Thanks!

Shorty

When I did Insanity, I did it as it's calendar laid it out--which had no weight lifting. I did get the bonus/deluxe set that has the upper body strength workout--which I LOVE. During the second month I substituted that workout for the repeat workout (one of the workouts is always done twice each week of the whole program--it's a different workout every week tho).

In the end I did not like doing it that way--I like strength work and wanted more of it. Now I just use Insanity for some of my cardio workouts and do strength workouts (usually Cathe) 3-4 times a week.

Jengolf

When I did Insanity, I did it as it's calendar laid it out--which had no weight lifting. I did get the bonus/deluxe set that has the upper body strength workout--which I LOVE. During the second month I substituted that workout for the repeat workout (one of the workouts is always done twice each week of the whole program--it's a different workout every week tho).

In the end I did not like doing it that way--I like strength work and wanted more of it. Now I just use Insanity for some of my cardio workouts and do strength workouts (usually Cathe) 3-4 times a week.

I will be following the calendar, but I also love doing my weight training workouts, 2-3 times a week, I don't know if that will be over kill. Thanks!

When I did it I found that all the high impact day after day was too much, so I changed it to only 2-3 of the Insanity workouts per week mixed with strength training. I also found the lack of a real warm-up to be a problem, so I needed to do something to help modify that also.

Insanity is meant as a 60 day program using only your body weight as resistance. You should not add additional weight training. I've done Insanity 2x and then some. Believe me when I say you won't feel like doing weights. But you won't need them either. I was more toned than I have ever been after doing a rotation. Arms, shoulders, back, chest, legs. All were leaned out nicely. So if you're looking for bulk, this is not the program :) But you don't need to worry about losing muscle at all. You'll use muscles you never knew you had!!

Actually, Beachbody has hybrid program calenders combining P90X and P90X2 with Insanity and Asylum. So they can be done with weight lifting. I do Insanity workouts all of the time in conjunction with lifting heavy weights. I think Insanity is some of the best cardio out there, but for me, it is insufficient for my strength work. And I did do the full 60 days as directed.

I agree with Shannon 110% I have done the 60 day Insanity program several times and never felt like doing additional weight lifting. Insanity did more for my cardio endurance than any other exercise regimen while maintaining the strength gains I had made with P90X and STS.

That being said, it was very hard on my body. The last time I did a rotation of pure Insanity I ended up re-injuring a hamstring and had to stop teaching aerobics for several months in order for it to heal properly. (to add insult to this injury it was right before the road trip last year and made for a very interesting time in Cathe's classes!) I now do 1 Insanity and 1 of Cathe's HiiT each week along teaching 2 bootcamp drill classes. I get in 3-4 days of lifting and find this to be a great mix for me

I know there are hybrids out there, but if you're going to do the program as written, weight training is not necessary.

I did one round of Insanity just to see if I could do it! I did not need any other weight training. There are so many pushups and planks my whole body felt worked out. I enjoyed it for the cardio and not having to chose a dvd to do since it was already planned out. I felt it had a very nice balance of hard and insanely hard days. I did it last October and November and am thinking about it again for maybe Nov. and Dec. this year...when all the holiday's are abounding with goodies! I may not do it with the fit tests though...I don't really care if I improve that much. I'd like to just be able to finish the days without taking too many breaks! I focused on form and didn't worry about speed and tried to not take breaks. Focusing on form helped me not get injured, I think.

Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.