? for runners, how to go farther

luvstep

Cathlete
I have been trying to do some running each week. But with my schedule and kids I cant go every day. Or every other day for that matter. What I would like to do is go about five miles when I *do* get out to run. The trouble is just getting past the third mile. I just feel awful. Sometimes sore, sometimes sick to my stomach. I'm fine when I stop though.
What is it that I can do just get past that what I'll call "breaking point"? Thanks for any help!

Just like the secret to running faster is running faster, the secret to running farther is.... running farther:)

You need to do it in small increments though. Generally speaking, you shouldn't add more than 10% to your WEEKLY mileage. So if you're running 5 miles when you run, and that's three days a week, then next week, you could try running and extra mile. You can break it up between the three runs, or you could try adding it to just one of your runs. So do 5, 5, and 6, with a day or so between, of course.

It could be a mental block you're encountering when you hit five miles, that's making you feel sick. I know when I go out to run, if I say to myself "I'm running 5 miles" when I get close to the five mile mark, I start to fatigue. But if I go with no specific goal, I usually find I run farther.

I hope some of that was helpful and I wasn't just blathering:p

One other thing to maybe try besides what Shelley has suggested is to slow down your pace. You can concentrate on having one of your runs a long run at a slower pace than your shorter runs which would be done at a faster pace. That should make it easier for you to add that 10% Shelley mentioned.

Yet another idea...once you decide you are going to run farther (and a bit slower will help, I agree with that. My stomach feels all messed up the faster I run) map out a NEW route that includes your add on mileage. A total mix up coupled with a slower pace may be just what your mind and tummy need.

When do you run? Do you eat before hand? Do you have water along the way? How hot is it where you live? Do you listen to music? Do you run into bathroom needs? Are you breathing deeply enough? Are you holding tension somewhere in your form? When I have increased mileage in the past I looked at all these factors and sometimes I would need to tweak something.
Heather

i am no expert, but i remember reading a galloway book about training for a marathon. he said that a walk/run is a good way to increase miles also. i started doing this by running 10 minutes and walking 1 whether i felt tired or not. he said if you start doing this at the beginning of your run, you have more left in your tank to keep going. this is one of his strategies for training for distance running (at least for beginners). it helped me to start adding distance to my long runs and made my 5 mile runs much easier.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.