? for moms who exercise & breastfeed

Amni

Cathlete
I'm a mom of a 1 month old who i exclusively breastfeed. I'm itching to get back into my workout routine but my mom says that if i exercise while breastfeeding it will reduce my milk supply. Is there any truth to this? do i really have to wait until i switch her to formula? Also, if you are exercising are there any workouts to avoid?
Thanks so much for your input.
Patricia

I breastfeed my son (till he was almost 2) and my daughter now for almost 9 months and have never had any problem with milk supply or (another myth) them refusing because the milk tastes funny. Both refused to take bottles and I never supplemented with formula. You can check out http://www.lalecheleague.org/home_intro.html if you'd like to read more about exercising while breastfeeding. I'm sure they have some very supportive articles.

I'm breastfeeding my third child- never a single problem with breastfeeding/exercising. I don't avoid any workouts. The only change I make is to take off the tight sports bra as soon as I am finished exercising. kristan

I have nursed 5 of my 6 children (one couldn't nurse, so I had to pump for him) and have never had a problem with my milk supply and exercise. Just make sure to eat a healthy diet and drink lots of water. You should be fine.

Maggie:)

I nursed all of my kids while breastfeeding.

The only time I was advised to not exercise is after I had my twins and I was having trouble keeping my milk supply up. At that time, I was told to conserve all of my energy so that my body could concentrate on making more milk for the babies. Other than that, I always did whatever workouts I wanted and my kids never seemed to care - they were just happy to breastfeed! :)

Erica

Never had a problem. ;)

~Melanie~

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94

" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

I was concerned about the same thing because I had supply issues at first and was completely exhausted. Now 3 months into it, I have no trouble with bfing and exercising. But if I am really exhausted, I do take it easy so that I don't overtax myself. Play it by ear. If you notice a decrease in supply, ease up a bit. But keep in mind, your baby is likely to go through some growth spurts in the next few months which can make you think that you have a supply problem. In reality, the baby's appetite has just picked up and your supply will soon follow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.