For children playing football...

netsnotes16

Cathlete
Five Football Tips from Tim Green:

1. Always get up. The game is about getting up, getting up fast, and getting up over and over again. Even the most talented players get knocked down. The great ones get up.

2. Keep your head up. When you tackle or block, you need to keep your head up so you don't get hurt, and so you deliver the best hit that you can.

3. Stay low. The low man will win almost every battle on the football field. Tackle low. Block low. Play the game low and you’ll win.

4. Wrap up when you tackle. Too many kids just plow into the ball carrier without wrapping their arms around the runner's legs. It's more important to bring the ball carrier down for certain than it is to make a devastating hit. The best tacklers do both, and they will always wrap their arms when they tackle.

5. Treat your teammates like they're special. Football is the ultimate team game—to win, everyone has to work hard together. And you can't just be a team on the field. You need to treat your fellow teammates with respect and kindness in the locker room, the classroom, the lunchroom, and the hallways. Every person on a team matters, even if they’re not the star player. A championship team is like a band of brothers.

http://www.harpercollinschildrens.c...amesandcontests/features/timgreen/extras.aspx

Great post, I'll share it with my son when he gets home.

He's playing in the season championship this Saturday, they have gone undefeated this season!!

One big reason? Just like the last tip on your list, the coaches on my son's team have preached teamwork, kindness, appreciation and hard work on and off the field. They take no part in trash talk, playing dirty or anything like that. It's been such a positive experience, so happy for my son! He's getting so many valuable life lessons playing football.

Thanks again!

This is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing!! My stepson just finished his freshman season of football.

Y'all are welcome. I love Tim Green's books especially his football career books. Not bad lookin' either ;0).

Andrew started flag, then pads at Rec League (horrible experience) and then Pop Warner. Loved Pop Warner and had 2 former USC-Carolina players as coaches. They emphasized team sports, discpline, conditioning and NO Smack talking! Andrew didn't make the 8th grade 'C' team but is playing rec league now. We haven't gotten to playoffs yet in rec league.

I am the 'unofficial' team mom and always looking for something that is positive. I have the quotes from "Any Given Sunday" on m signature line!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.