Food deliveries

I see so many food delivery companies and I wonder how popular they are. Has anyone tried any of them? Any recommendations? The good, the bad, the ugly?

I have used Schwann's over several years. They have really good seafood if you like that. The frozen veggies are good. I don't often eat bread fut have purchased for my husband and family. The steaks and chicken are good. There are some items that make putting together quick meals easy. All of their products are frozen foods. Then there is ice cream and desserts :eek::D I always pre ordered online. I got purchase points that way and could use on future orders.

LV Fit Girl, would you mind sharing the names of the food delivery sites you have seen, even if you haven't used them?

I get ALL of my food delivered to my house! I don't believe I have been in a supermarket in over 3 years.

NaturesGardenDelivered.com - Only in Georgia and Arizona and delivered to your home. This is my favorite place so far. I get organic produce, eggs, raw butter, raw cheese, some oils, nuts, herbs, and they have other stuff. All boxes are customizable (a huge deal for me since I have almost zero waste when I get to choose what I receive). All boxes are organic and "local" (within 24 hour drive) and recently picked. They are awesome on returns and you can purchase "add-ons", usually from further than 24 hours away but still freshly picked. If anyone is from Georgia or AZ and would like me to elaborate on the process, let me know - I have learned some tricks in ordering.

TropicalTraditions.com and GrassFedTraditions.com- Nationwide delivered to your home. I get my meats, chicken, coconut flakes, coconut oils, olives, teas, butters and eggs from them. Also I get Honey from them (BEST honey I have ever had and it is now my downfall.) Note that they ship from three different areas and have "free shipping" coupons and sales often - however, the free shipping coupons will only apply to one of their departure points (WI, NV, MN). Their dairy in Wisconsin (eggs, butters, cheeses) is reasonably priced, but the shipping makes it too much for me to order without a "free shipping" coupon, so I wait. They do have the best, creamiest, orangest eggs I have had. All meats are truly farm raised - read about it on their website. Will refund without questions.

TopLineFoods.com - Nationwide, but based in AZ. Currently closed but will be reopening soon. I receive my meats and seafood from them. They happened to literally be across the street from me at work, so I would walk over and pick up my order. Then they closed to change ownership and I was sad. However, I just found out they are reopening soon! Really good shrimp and my guy says it is his favorite beefs/bison and fish (I don't eat those). I hope they have the same supplier as the previous owner. Their meats/seafood are properly raised. Never had to refund.

BountifulBaskets.org - I used them in the past, but haven't for years. You pay $15 (may have increased since I last used it) for a basket of produce or $25 for an organic basket. You do not know what you are going to receive and the produce is on the very ripe to over ripe side. This isn't a bad thing, I just found that I had to eat my basket within about 2 days and I had a lot of waste since it was just me. (I ended up freezing veggies I couldn't eat for stock, so decreased the waste). Also, not knowing what I was going to receive made it hard to plan my weekly menu. You go and pick up the basket yourself (I happened to have 3 locations within 1 mile of my house I could choose from)

BlueSkyOrganicFarms.com - located in AZ. A farm you can go shopping at (they pick for you). A lot of their produce is also included in the above mentioned NaturesGardenDelivered.com.

TolmachoffFarms.com - located in AZ. U-pick or They-pick. Very very good tomatoes - I eat them as snacks.

BoxedGreens.com - Haven't used them, but want to some day - they deliver to your house and are based in AZ. Mainly produce, meats, poultry, dairy, beverages, gluten-free.

Arizona-Organics.com - Haven't used them, but may someday. They have all produce bags (veggie, fruit or mixed) and also have "meal bags", meaning they have all the ingredients for an entire meal for X days included. I believe they tell you what the meal choices for that week are ahead of time. I personally won't use the Meal Bag, but may give the produce bag a try.

GoodEarthFarms.com - haven't tried, but want to. Mainly chicken and turkey and beef and pork. I really only eat chicken out of what I just listed and like the chickens I receive from GrassFedTraditions.com mentioned above. However, my guy likes all other meats so I may try it.

MarketOnTheMove.com (I think that is the site) - have never used and probably won't, however friends do and they for the most part like it. You pay $10 and get 60lbs of produce. You go and pick it up yourself. From what I hear, it is best for those who can their food or want the same produce rather than a variety. They get their produce as "rescued", so it is very ripe to over ripe and often only about 4 choices are given (tomatoes, zucchini, carrots and onions, as example for this week). The reason I won't use it is only because the location isn't that close to me and the particular location by me is only on Saturday, which doesn't work for me.

BlueApron.com - Haven't used but may someday especially if I have visitors over who don't want to go out to eat. I am just not that into meals being delivered - I prefer just the ingredients being delivered and I make something myself. However, this seems like a really good concept and again, I do want to try it someday. I am curious as to how fresh their produce ingredients are.

DesertRootsFarm.com - haven't used, but want to. Delivered to your house and based in AZ. Pesticide produce, herbs, breads, beef, pork, chicken, cheese.

UrbanMarketBags.com - just came across this about 3 days ago and know nothing about them, but will research.

If anyone knows of more sites, please share even if you haven't used them. I know I listed a lot that I haven't tried, but that is because I like NaturesGardenDelivered.com so much and I wish they were located in more places.

This is what I have found works for me:
*It is best if I get to choose ahead of time what I will receive. I have found if I don't get to pick, more waste is created. I would freeze items for stock, but waste was still created.
*It is also best for me to choose ahead of time what I will receive so that I can plan my meals for the week. I base my entire week off my ordered box and buy "add-ons" so that I have complete meals.
*Home Delivery is GREAT! I didn't think I would want/need that, however I couldn't go back to picking it up myself (well, I could, but home delivery sure is nice).
*Local and organic picked produce really does taste so much better. I live in AZ and sorry, but our supermarket produce is just NOT good (even at Sprouts and Whole Foods). I was just commenting the other day that I don't believe I had a fresh piece of produce for about 10 years prior to finding local farms - I ate canned and frozen fruit and veggies. I am lucky that the place I use picks everything within the last day.
*Dealing with a company with great return policy. I don't feel "taken" if I get a bad mango or pear when I get a full refund.
*The delivered meal concepts look great and convenient. I probably would be doing those if I had found them years ago, however I have just become accustomed to eating produce raw or minimally prepared and prefer it that way. When I have visitors in from out of town, they like to go out to eat to restaurants, but I like to eat at home - I think the delivered meals may be a good compromise.
*I try to go to local farms once in awhile and pick my own, but I have just found getting it delivered is better (for me).
*We have several Farmer's Markets by us, however the hours and locations just do NOT work for me. Again, being able to take my time and "shop" my basket online ahead of time is so much more convenient for me to plan my weekly meals.
*Realize this way of shopping is not as cheap as grocery store shopping. I used to be the queen of supermarket shopping with coupons and could go a month on $25 for two people no problem. It was sticker shock at first, but now it just is what it is. Friends see what I eat at home or bring to work and are interested - - - until they see the price. They say it is too expensive, but I say the supermarket food is just cheap. Honestly, though - when I was first out on my own I would not have been able to afford this (it is the meat/egg price that was the most sticker shock). What I find interesting is I have purchased "Office Boxes" for work (grab and go produce - apples, bananas, tomatoes, etc) for everyone to try and they all said it was the best they ever had and wanted to buy a box, until they saw the price. You just have to change your mindset away from grocery store prices.

Sorry so long, but I did a lot of research when I first found out about home delivery and was overwhelmed at first. Just wanted to share what I have learned works for ME.

Wow, Gobias!! You really have all of the bases covered, and you are so fortunate to have so many suppliers and home deliveries available to you! Here in my area of PA, we have a number of local farms too, but we endure brutal winters, so..... :( I agree with you that the food you get from the local farms is far and away the best and the freshest. We have a supplier here that I use named The Family Cow. You place your order online and then pick up your groceries at a designated drop point. I'm picking up an order tomorrow, in fact. They sell a variety of items that I am unable to purchase at the supermarket.... like chicken feet :oops:. This is my first time ever buying chicken feet, and I pray that I will be comfortable working with them. From what I've read, the feet add lots of collagen to your stock. Thanks so much for all the info you shared. When I have a moment, I'm going to check out some of these websites.

One of my friends has used Hello Fresh and loved it. All of the meals that she took photos of and shared looked quite delicious. I would probably consider something like Hello Fresh if I truly had no time to shop. The reason I haven't tried them is because I just "ass"umed they don't use organic ingredients.

Wow! A lot of info. Thank you!!! I guess I will have to do more research to see what's available in my area. I am not interested in ripe/overripe produce - I just can't use it up that fast. I did hear that Blue Apron deliveries often included bad food, missed food, incomplete instructions, and sometimes melted ice packs. I'd like to have good, healthy, and quick dinners for those days when I just don't have anything ready or any time. I haven't tried anything yet and am willing to pay a decent price for good food.

I tried Hallo Fresh. Food was very good, no waste :) They give you enough food to cook for 2 people. We really liked Hallo Fresh. I think I payed a little over $24 on Groupon. Great deal! You do have to cancel your oder right way, otherwise they sent you another order of food the next following week for over $75 :( You have to read the fine print :D

Well a few weeks ago, Social living had another food delivery from Fuel Food from Miami Fl :( I paid $125 + $75 shipping for 20 meal.:) You take about discussing food:eek::) Their wasn't one meal you could eat, WTH? The food tasted like dog food. Do not buy from them!!!! I contacted the owner from Fuel Food, he was so rude :9 Basically what he told me, I wouldn't get a refund :( I was so pissed I contacted Social Living and told them I would never buy from them again and I would cancel my account with them They did give me a $125 refund. I should have researched the companyo_O they had complains left and right :) I haven't ordered any other food deliveries since. I usually don't throw food in the garbage, Fuel Food had to go:p Be aware of those deals and do your homeworko_O

I have heard good things about Winder Farms. They deliver to Utah, Nevada and parts of California. I have been tempted to try it myself, just haven't got to it. A few of the guys I work with, tell me they order from Winder Farms, and their deliveries are always fresh, and they have the best milk and dairy products on the planet. (just what they have told me)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.