food after a workout?

hrcfitness

Cathlete
Hi All,
I was recently told that I should eat a 1/2 a baked potato (white) with a protein shake after my workouts....I exercise at 5am and eat 2 slices of Eleikel bread before my workout and then after a currently have a protein shake only. Then once I shower and what not I eat my "breakfast".....I've tried the potato thing and frankly it feels like to much food to soon after I workout! Let me say that I am in good shape, but I would love to slim out my lower body a bit more...so I'm not sure If I should do this or not....someone else told me that eating the potato and what not are more of a body builder mentality....any ideas or thoughts? Thanks!

its not so much the potatoe thats important, you just want some simple carbs to replace the glycogen you burnt up after a tough workout. so with your protein shake you can add a banana or even some oatmeal. You don't have to eat the potatoe. I don't think i could eat a baked potatoe that early in the morning. I've heard that chocolate milk is one of the best and easiest recovery drinks to have post workout

i have heard 100% juice(ie full fruit juice with no sugar added stuff) is okay too but make sure its portioned out b/c 8oz isn't a whole lot for juice. the point is to refuel muscles after a workout(mainly weights in this case, cardio i just drink a ton of water unless i do it before breakfast). so any healthy simple carb would do. when i work during the school year i have juice with breakfast after a workout. right now i have breakfast before i work out so i keep it light with a couple chunks of pineapple or something. i usually workout between breakfast and lunchtime currently. its all in the scheduling i guess.

as for chocolate milk, i usually make a chocolate protein shake when i am not that hungry does that count?LOL

kassia

Hi there! To make mine short and simple, the only thing I consume RIGHT after I'm done with my workout is a glass of fat free milk! that's it! hehe:p

Well, my question would be who told you that and why? What was their rationale for those specific choices? My guess is that they are speaking more of types of food intake (carbs, protein, etc), not specific food items. Also, what you eat depends on what you did workout-wise and what your goals are. I've been interested in fitness and nutrition for over 20 years and have never heard "baked potato and protein shake" before.

Even after a weight session? Wow thats interesting. I've done the chocolate fatfree milk after cardio but after a weight session I always have a protein shake with 1/2 cup blue or strawberries.

yup! after ANY kinf of workout, I just drink milk, about an hour or so later, I'll have a good meal. I've always done that. I had a PT a while ago and she said drinking milk (or what she likes Muscle Milk) is great to consume after any workout. I've never tried MM, I know it's more expensive than good ol' cows milk. :confused:

I think Im going to the fatfree milk this month along with my jillian micheals rotation this month. Thanks Alana as

Well sure! No prob! I hope it works for ya! And oh...check the other thread...I think we're on at the same time writing back and forth! heheee!!:p:D

yup! after ANY kinf of workout, I just drink milk, about an hour or so later, I'll have a good meal. I've always done that. I had a PT a while ago and she said drinking milk (or what she likes Muscle Milk) is great to consume after any workout. I've never tried MM, I know it's more expensive than good ol' cows milk. :confused:

i have had muscle milk and to me it taste no different the using regular ol' cows milk and a protien powder of your choice with vitamins and minerals. of course you can use any kind of milk that floats your boat. on occasion i get soy milk as well but living with my family its hard to buy two kinds of everything LOL so i stick with cows milk for my coffee and protien shakes. sometimes i mix protein powder in plain yogurt too. ever had cookies and cream yogurt its pretty good LOL plain or vanilla yogurt mixed with a scoop of cookie and cream protein powder. makes a great dessert too

kassia

MMMM...that cookies and cream shake sounds DELISH!:eek: hehe! and yes I also agree that any kind of milk/shake is good. I just go with good ol' cows milk!:D I will try MM eventually, I just think it's a little spendy for me, I don't have much funds right now:confused:. I'm gonna remember that Cookies and Cream shake though Kassia! heheeee

I have a slim fast high protein before my workout, and a whole grain fig newton and Danactive right after working out. Works for me.

According to Leslie Bonci, a sports nutritionist, you should eat a fist-size amount of food within 15 minutes after exercising. She says chocolate milk or a half of a peanut butter sandwich, or anything else that combines a little protein with carbs, is good. You should also eat a fist-size snack an hour before exercising, according to Bonci. As a guide, each snack should have 150-200 calories. She says no protein bars or drinks though, as those are too low in carbs.

I have read fast acting carbs like white bread and protein hydroslate. slow carbs will actually slow down the protein getting to the muscles. M&F had a great article on this a couple of months back.

I have a glass of soy chocolate milk and it works fine (admittedly I am an evening exerciser.) After an hour or so I have a homemade protein bar if I'm hungry.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.