Flooring question

THARTMAN

Cathlete
Hi!! I apologize if this has been asked.. Did a search (maybe not enough??? lazy :) ) Anyway my problem is my townhouse is built on a concrete slab and over the concrete i have hardwood floors. Lately my feet and shins have been aching. Even when i lift they hurt. Is there something that i could use to absorb the shock? Something that is easy to put away since I workout in my living room? I have been looking at puzzle mats but am unsure if they have enough cushion.
I appreciate any help!!

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

Puzzle mats work OK. If you have the time and money, try putting in an aerobic flooring. You won't be sorry. Just google it or a search here and you will find how to build one. Joey and I just did ours before last year ended. We love it! Never again will we feel sore feet and shins.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Hi janie,

yes an aerobic floor has been a dream of mine for a while but we are moving to North Carolina in the summer and I don't want to spend the money and then move...so I guess I will try the puzzle mat for a temporary solution. Do you know what brand I should try? or are they about the same?

thanks,
tracy

I'm not sure if they are the same. I used the black puzzle mats. After we decided to build the flooring we used the black puzzle mats in-between the bottom flooring and the top flooring. Works like a charm. No waste that way.

Janie

Can you move around easily on the puzzle mats? I work out in my garage and my house is on a slab, so you can imagine....I have noticed now that I am doing P90X and after all of the jumping in Plyometrics, I feel like my hips are jarred...ouch!

Puzzle mats (the black ones) for me were really great for weight training and stretches. But for aerobics, it's a bit sticky. There is little slide there. So do be careful while using the puzzle mats in that way. It's doable though and your shins and feet will benefit from it.

Janie

Last edited:
My puzzle mats work great for step and other aerobic workouts. Much better than doing it on carpet. I got mine at Lowes.

Puzzle Mats

I use the black puzzle mats, too, my work out area is in the basement on concrete. Couldn't figure out why my knees and shins were aching so bad until my doc asked where I was working out. No more problem except for muscle pain from Cathe.

www.greatmats.com

Put two layers over my concrete slab and my knees and joints are oh so happy. I previously had some from Costco or Walmart, not sure which, but there is no comparison. Great mats puts out a great product.

Lorrie, which product did you get from greatmats.com?
I saw where their aerobics flooring is on sale...I really don't need too much to cover the area where I work out.

I was looking on there...I would only need to cover my designated "area" I so wish I had my own room, but I do have heating and air out there, so that help!

I know sometime Big Lots has the black puzzle mats, and I will check the Home Depot, we do have a HD in our small town, Lowe's is 45 minutes away, but I make the trip to Bham often. Hubby is a contractor so one of his subs might have a connection.

We have their basic puzzle mats, but like I said - 2 layers. The great mats puzzle mats are thicker than the ones we had previously gotten from Walmart or where ever.

But I was looking on their site and the new Sport Plus one looks quite nice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.