Flat screen TV dead

Winter

Cathlete
Hi,

I have an RCA flat screen tv that is approximately 3-4 years old. It cost $750. Today I turned on the tv and it just turned off and seems to be completely dead. In the past if it wouldn't turn on there was a yellow light blinking at the bottom and I could wait awhile and it would come back on. Now there is no lights at all. Anyone have this happen and am I totally out $750? I am sick that I spent that much on the TV for just a few years.

Winter

Hi Winter,
My son sells these flat screens at Best Buy. He says it sounds like a bad power supply and is probably done. I know nothing about these but am just passing along what he said. Can u get someone to look at it?
Trevor

I called the company that I bought it from. The indicated that they have had no problems with the TV's if there were a problem it would show up within 72 hours of purchase. He wanted me to unplug it for 4 hours and try again. If it does not work to call him back and go from there.

Thanks for asking your son. I do have the tv plugged into a power strip - not sure if that has anything to do with bad power supply.

My husband bought a 65 inch mitsubishi projection lcd hi def tv. Within 9 months the first halogen lamp went out. Maybe it could be your lamp needs replaced? Our light was flashing yellow on the tv but we couldn't get it to do anything until we replaced the lamp. I hope this helps.

Hi Again Winter,
Apparently, in the back of the television there is a board called the "power supply". It's located where your plug goes into the tv. If that board is bad then even though your power strip and outlet are ok, the electricity is not getting to where it needs to go to in order to power the tv. The fact that you have power coming from your outlet and yet the lights on the tv are still out does tell me it's something inside the television. My son does think it's the internal power supply.
Again, just a guess. I really hope keeping it off for a few hours will solve the issue for you. :)
Trevor

I called the company that I bought it from. The indicated that they have had no problems with the TV's if there were a problem it would show up within 72 hours of purchase. He wanted me to unplug it for 4 hours and try again. If it does not work to call him back and go from there.

Thanks for asking your son. I do have the TV plugged into a power strip - not sure if that has anything to do with bad power supply.

While the problem could be a couple things my first guess would also be the power supply.

The power strip would have nothing to do with a bad power supply (the power supply is internal to the TV). You may want to check the circuit breaker on the power strip to make sure it didn't trip. If you have other items that work on that strip chances are it's not the circuit breaker. I assume you already tried another outlet on the power strip?

It could also be the back light, but I would suspect you would at least see a power light come on the unit if that were the case

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.