Firm Tapes

Wow, what a response!

I should of figured I'd get a lot of advice, I know there are a lot of "firmies" out there! I have no doubt that the Firm tapes produce results, that's why I want to add them to my rotation. I can overlook the make-up and sexy voices. I guess what I don't like is how scripted they are. With Cathe and Gin Miller I always feel like they're "with me" while I'm working out, making jokes and pushing me along. The Firm tapes just seem so... stiff. I don't feel like anybody is really having any fun. I just had a hard time getting motivated by them. But I should give them another try and maybe the results will motivate me!

What I would like to know is...

when was the last time the Firm made a "real" new tape? I mean a brand new tape - not a compiliation of old stuff. What year was the newest one made and what is it called?

Kim

the latest

Gee am I becoming an official Firm spokesperson or what??? LOL!! Between the Firm and Cathe and Tae Bo I am just the happy little video exercising camper! Anyway, their last two sets of videos are all new tapes. In Nov of 99 they came out with the Super Shapers set, consisting of Super Cardio and Super Sculpting. Then in January (wasn't it?? --maybe February) of 2000 they released the cardio series, Cardio Burn, Power Cardio, and Maximum Cardio. Reaction to the cardio series has been mixed (and I have mixed feelings about the only one of them I've done), but the Supers are pretty unanimously loved. The Supers have a parts tape look to them because they used different instructors but they were designed that way, they are all original footage. The Cardios each have only one instructor so they look like the originals that they are. The Blast series (Core Cardio 1, which was disliked, Core Cardio 2 which was liked, and Bust and Butt, which was half-and-half) are parts tapes that were compiled from the cardios. This was a case where the parts tapes came out first, then the originals.

I actually COUNTED one day over at the Firm forum to see how many tapes were original footage and how many were compilations. The Firm has 23 original tapes plus 21 compilations.

suggestions

I'm glad you identified what you didn't like, it narrows down the choices. Because you don't like the scripted format, probably stay away from anything with multiple-instructors. I think you might like Tracy Long's tapes though she's a much more reserved person on video than Cathe or Gin Miller. Firm Cardio (FC) & Firm Strength (FS) might also appeal to you. Both are very good total body workouts. Firm Cardio is misnamed, you'll get nice & sweaty but it's focus is not cardio. I think Tracy Long was one of the choreographers for FC & FS. It seems that the tempo, flow & balance of her workouts is superior.

Tracie Long

Tracie Long is quite reserved in person too! She seems quite nice, although she is not near as extroverted as Cathe in person -- Cathe is a real people person for sure!

As for the Firm's style, I've heard that those instructors and cast go through a LOT to film those videos. So they're NOT having any fun -- I've heard first-hand from cast members that some of them literally cry and that they do take after take after take, ad nauseum. I have also heard that Anna Benson is a driving perfectionist who really works the cast and instructors into mental and physical exhaustion. Of course, the results are awesome and I am a big fan of the Firm's production style.

Tracie Long

Tracie Long is quite reserved in person too! She seems quite nice, although she is not near as extroverted as Cathe in person -- Cathe is a real people person for sure!

As for the Firm's style, I've heard that those instructors and cast go through a LOT to film those videos. So they're NOT having any fun -- I've heard first-hand from cast members that some of them literally cry and that they do take after take after take, ad nauseum. I have also heard that Anna Benson is a driving perfectionist who really works the cast and instructors into mental and physical exhaustion. Of course, the results are awesome and I am a big fan of the Firm's production style.
Agree. I met her in '04 & '06 and was very polite.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.