Exercising during post-miscarriage pregnancy

Leela

Cathlete
Hi -

I miscarried in July, and i'm pregnant again (shhh. Its a secret :) ) and expecting in late august. Of course - i've had such crummy luck this year (2 very early losses - pos preg test for 2 days, then kaput, and then my miscarriage at 7 weeks) that i'm seriously paranoid about this pregnancy.

I'm tempted to lay low for a while - but is that the wise thing to do? My doctor isn't much help. Although they are taking this pregnancy more seriously than the last one (blood tests every 2 days, a progesterone level test, they've given me progesterone just in case...) she still feels that I "should be having a normal pregnancy" because I had one that culminated in m y daughter being born 2 years ago. Anyway - when I mentioned it to her, she said "I'd lay off for a while". But i'm not sure if I really should. I'm not bleeding or anything... but bleeding with the july loss didn't happen until 6 wks LMP, which is a week away.

I'm not looking for medical advice, or even advice, because I understand that this is something I should ask my doctor about... but maybe i'm asking for experiences - anyone out there have a situation like this - and did you exercise?

I'm just afraid of NOT exercising and then having THAT cause a miscarriage, as i've heard that women who exercise are less likely to miscarriage.

Frustrating...

Thanks,

Leela

Exercising during pregnancy

Hi Leela,
I don't have any advice, just wanted to wish you lots of luck with the pregnancy - hope things go smoothly for you this time!!
Hope someone can help you with the "right" answer!
Best wishes,
Erica

Leela--I didn't exercise after my miscarriages because I was terrified that it would cause another one--although I KNEW better. I guess I was paranoid about everything too. So I cannot really say anything that will be of much help except that I really sympathize with your fears, even your reluctance to "announce" your pregnancy.
All I can say is "congratulations on being pregnant again". I know from reading your posts here and on VF that it has been really hard for you this year. Hang in there and I am really pulling for you and this baby!

[font color=green]BETSY[/font]

Hi Leela,
Congratulations to you. I hope this coming year will bless you with a new little one and much, much joy. We will all be pulling for you. Wish I could help you with your decision, but I wont even pretend to be that knowledgeable about the subject.
I hope you have an easy, smooth pregnancy and a new baby in August.
Take care.
Lisa

Hi Leela,

I had to respond to your post as I find myself in a similar situation and dealing with the same issues. First, let me say my heart goes out to you regarding your previous miscarriages. I had a miscarriage in early August at six weeks and it was devestating. I am now pregnant again and at thirteen weeks. (I can relate to all the blood/progesterone checks!) My doctor, like yours, told me there is no reason that I should not have a 'normal pregnancy' this time, but it is difficult to let go of my worries of another miscarriage.

Prior to this pregnancy I was a devoted exerciser and intended to continue exercising during the pregnancy. However, I have found that when I exercise I bleed. Usually if I just walk or do yoga I am okay, but step tapes and hi/lo for some reason always result in spotting. I discussed this with my doctor and he said to 'cut back on exercising'. I was hoping as I got further along I could resume exercising more regularly, but I still am having the same problem now. It is very frustrating because I miss exercising so much and I feel like such a sloth. I have Dr. Clapp's book and know that exercising should not have any link to miscarriage, but in my case since I bleed after exercise I figure my body must be trying to tell me something.

I don't know how to advise you other than to say you should do what feels right for you and this pregnancy (with your doctor's input of course). As for me I intend to try to continue with walks and yoga and in a few weeks I may try some other workouts again. Others I have discussed this with think I'm nuts to risk doing any exercise. There are good arguments on both sides I think. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy.

Catherine

Hi Catherine

Congrats on getting to 13 weeks!!! Sounds like you and I miscarried around the same time. I lost my 7 week embryo on 7/24. Yes - it is devastating.

>but it is difficult to
>let go of my worries
>of another miscarriage.
>

I know I didn't even worry about this 2.5 years ago with my daughter. I worried in the vague sense - but my pregnancy sickness was so strong the first trimester, it was obvious things were "happening"

>yoga I am okay, but
>step tapes and hi/lo for
>some reason always result in
>spotting. I discussed this

Scary!

>with my doctor and he
>said to 'cut back on
>exercising'. I was hoping

Right. I guess I just wish I knew WHY this was a problem. That little being is well cushioned in a saline sac - so it doesn't make sense that exercise should be a problem. Especially now where you are at 13 weeks. What about lifting weights.. is that a problem? I guess now that you are further along, you'd probably want to start easing up on that anyway - esp lying-on-back work.

It really helps to read this. I guess i'll just stick with brisk walking on the treadmill for the next 2 weeks until I get past the point where I started bleednig the last time. I am scared NOT to exercise, because of the link between inactivity and pregnancy losses. You just can't win. The problem is - the docs just say "Stop exercising" - but how much thought do they really put into that?

Thanks for your input! Take care and happy and healthy second/third trimester to you!

Leela

Leela and Catherine H. --

I am also pregnant (also due end of August), and suffered a miscarriage in May. I was also devastated -- especially since two of my sisters-in-law were pregnant at the same time, and we were all supposed to deliver within two weeks of each other.

I have the same internal conflict with wanting to continue exercising, but being afraid of what will happen (I miscarried last time at 19 weeks). After talking to my doctor, I've decided to continue exercising, but on a VERY modified routine, and to really listen to my body. I nap when my toddler naps, I try not to lift anything heavy, I'm drinking TONS of water every day, and I try to go to bed really early in the evening. Luckily, I don't work outside the home, so when I feel I need to rest, I can stop and relax. I'm praying that this will make a difference, but, (as you may know) since they don't know what caused the miscarriage last time, I'm not sure if it will.

Good luck to you both -- I'm thinking of you!!

Oh no...

How awful. I'm sorry - 19 weeks - that must have been extremely painful.

Thank you for sharing this - it does help to hear what you are doing.

I'm rooting for you too!

Leela

Hi Leela!

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I can understand your reluctance in announcing your pregnancy. I'm wishing all the best for you!!!

As far as exercising goes, I'd definitely ask your doctor about it. We also tend to blame ourselves for outcomes even if we know deep inside that what we did/didn't do had no impact on the outcome. :)

Hang in there, Leela! :)

Kristin

Wow, it sounds as if a lot of us are in the same boat. I miscarried at 10 weeks in September, I too am now newly pregnant (about 5 weeks). After my miscarriage I took that as an opportunity to get myself back into shape. I have a 21 month old daughter and pretty much let myself go since her. Well, I've been working out 6 days a week since the go ahead from my doctor and I feel great! I feel so much better than previous and am confidant that everything will work out. I haven't told many people either yet, but it is still so new. I would just listen to what your body tells you. If it feels like too much, it probably is. I've recently purchased the Minna Lessig tapes and I think they will be a great fit while pregnant and not wanting to overexert yourself. HTH some, take care, good luck, Sue

Hi,
Can anybody tell me more about Minna Lessig? Would I find her in the Collage video catalog? Does she mainly do tapes for pregnancy?
Lisa

Lisa, No, she doesn't do pregnancy tapes, but the two that she has done are pretty low impact so I plan on doing them through my pregnancy. Yes, they are available at collage. One is Fat Eliminator and the other is Strength & Grace. HTH, Sue

Hi, Leela. Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel! As an aerobics instructor I exercised during my first pregnancy making no modifications only to lose the baby at 10 wks. During my second pregnancy I laid low meaning no exercising. Still I lost that pregnancy too at 10 weeks. With my 3rd pregnancy, I decided that I would not lay low and become involved in the pregnancy. Before becoming pregnant I took a multivitamin, plus b6 vitamin and had a complete physical including a pap so that I did not have to have one once I became pregnant. Once I tested positive, I did not exercise for the first 14 weeks and transitioned slowly into exercise, keeping in mind that I exercised for the purpose of retaining my fitness level and NOT to lose weight, so I did lots of modifications and very little weights. 39 weeks later I delivered a healthy baby boy who is now 2 yrs old. I am preparing myself once more, gearing up physically and mentally for the challenges of pregnancy. My husband would like a second baby and I'm finally admitting I'd like one too. I must admit somewhere down the line I lost that innocence about pregnancy, meaning testing positive automatically equates to a healthy baby. I did cry through my whole 3rd pregnancy, even my dr. advised me to stop crying but the fear of losing the baby always loomed over me. Don't let this happen to you. Enjoy your pregnancy, I surely intend the second time around.

Hi Leela. I don't have any advice (other than to follow your heart), but I did want to tell you congratulations and let you know how excited I am for you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and say a little prayer for you and your family!

Hazel

Wow - sounds like we took similar tactics

I also used my post miscarriage time to start really cranking the workouts - I was doing a mix of Cathe's CTX and my firm tapes. I even have some Mindy Mylrea's that I was doing.

I had also let myself kind of go lax during my pregnancy and then during the last 18 mos of Anjali's life before starting up again. She's now 2 weeks from 2, and I am in much better shape.

>been working out 6 days
>a week since the go

COOL!

I'll modify the tapes I have and listen to my body - great to hear that you are doing well!

Thank you Hazel

I'm hoping this time is a little better. So far, so good. Around 8 weeks, the odds of m/c drop to 25%. 2.5 weeks to go :)

Leela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.