Exercise and Menopause

bubbles100

Cathlete
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced lessening or the absense of menopausal symptoms because of rigorous exercise.

I just got off depo provera (I'm almost 53) and the doctor did blood tests which show I am in menopause. This strikes me as very odd only because I'm asymptomatic. No hot flashes. Menopause hits my family VERY HARD. My mother is 88 and the poor woman STILL has hot flashes. I cannot begin to describe to you how much I dread hot flashes.

I did a bit of research on the internet, and found that exercise can help eleviate hot flashes. So am I getting off scott free? Is it too soon to tell?

It would be so awesome if we could forego those dreaded hot flashes because of our exercise regime.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about this since I am a menopause newbie.

Margaret

How long have you been off the hormones? Maybe your body is still being fooled, LOL! If I'm off hormones for more than a week the hot flashes set in. I am 50 and not in full menopause yet.

Seriously, hopefully you are one of the blessed!!!:)

P.S. Hot flashes are sparked by your brain not being able to find the estrogen it craves so I don't think exercise alone can ward them off.

I've only been off hormones for a week. Oh, I really, really hope I'm one of the blessed. I don't even know anyone in that category!

Margaret

I have to say I don't think exercise has much effect on the symptoms of menopause. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject over the last 10 years (I'm 60). My symptoms were pretty severe and I exercised a lot throughout. Exercise can bring on a hot flash but it won't make them go away. But it's only temporary! And a healthy lifestyle will help a great deal to see you through.

Things that do help: avoid too much coffee, alcohol, spicy foods (unless you're prepared...:)). Dress in layers. Carry around frozen water bottles.

My doc prescribed efexxor, which helped alleviate symptoms quite a bit.

It's scientifically proved that exercise helpes you get through menopause with milder symptoms like hot flashes. Efexor is an antidepressant and that might help you too. I'm 53 and still have my period but it's not so regular. I usually get hot flashes when I travel (=when I'm not exercising)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.