elliptical trainers

amyjohauge

Cathlete
Hey everyone,
I was thinking of adding another machine to my club de basement and I was looking at the ProForm 485E elliptical trainer and wondered if anyone has this model and if they like it. I have all of Cathes videos and just wanted to add some variation to my kickboxing and stepping. Amy Jo

Yes, I have that elliptical trainer, and I like it alot--great on days that I need something low-impact yet still gives me a good workout. It doesn't have all the options (i.e., auto incline, etc.) like the one at my gym, but for the price it's definitely worth it. It has "handles" that move along with the legs, so it's a total body workout. I used my heart monitor the other day on it just to see how high my heart rate went up, and it stayed at around 155-160 bpm, and I wasn't huffing and puffing! I also saw something in this month's comsumer digest magazine on home elliptical trainers and Reebok evidently makes a decent one as well, for a reasonable price ($500). I also have a gym in my basement; I have the elliptical trainer, treadmill, stationary bike, step, various dumbbells and barbell, and a weight machine. Also a tv and vcr so that I can do Cathe and other tapes, of course! I love the convenience! Problem is, I always want to upgrade/add to all my equipment, which my husband doesn't appreciate! Good luck on your decision!

I have one of those basement gyms, too, although no elliptical trainer yet. I do have a NordicTrack that takes up alot of room but I love it and I feel like I get a similar workout to an elliptical machine. And I know what you mean about always wanting to add to my "machinery". I like to have lots of exercise options. It keeps me from EVER getting bored.

Hi Amy Jo! Just thought I'd add an endorsement of elliptical trainers generally and of mine in particular.

I love the elliptical -- it's a nice change of pace from my treadmill and Nordic Track, and can provide not only a killer workout on days I want to go all out, but can also be a "take it easy" machine on days when I'm recovering from a cold, for example, or feel a little sluggish. I feel that I get a better workout on those days than walking on my treadmill would give me, and it's certainly easier than the *%&* Nordic Track.

I don't have the ProForm, but I do have a Precor -- I'm not sure which one offhand, but it's one of the basic EFX home models without the handlebars for upper body work. My DH and I bought it for ourselves for our anniversary this January. It was an investment at around $1,500. I love it, though, and I do think in the end it will be well worth the money because we are using it a lot. It does have the auto-incline and various programs for weight loss, heart rate zone maintenance, etc. We find we're using all these features, too.

Kathy S.

I don't own an elliptical trainer, but since my knee injury and during recovery, I used them exclusively (at Bally's)to bring my fitness cardio level up to speed. Where certain higher impact and step moves gave my knee a headache, the elliptical allowed me to raise my heart rate sufficiently without hurting the knee.
Are you planning to buy the gym-style of elliptical? I saw some of those at our local Chicago Home Fitness store (used to be a Fitness Warehouse)the other day and almost passed out from the price tag....over $5,000 buck-a-roos for one of those babies! WOW!
Someday, we will have a home with a BIG basement and have one of those exercise gym-de-basements, too<VBG>
Hugs,
Lynn Finn...who needs to get moving and do things like cleaning instead of these delaying tactics, like sitting and reading the Cathe Forum boards....

I have a Nordic Track elliptical with an incline and I love it! I got it on sale so I paid a little extra for it (costs more than the ones without the incline) but think the $ was well worth it. It seems like after awhile I get used to the workout if I keep it in one position, so whenever it seems easy, I change the position and am challenged again.

Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.