ElbowTendonitis from kettlebells?

aveggiegirl

Cathlete
Did anyone else's elbow tendonitis flare up with the kettlebells? If so, how did you resolve it? I really, really, love the kettlebell workouts but my elbow doesn't. :( When I started lifting weights I developed elbow tendonitis but stretching exercises helped and I haven't had any problems since. I started doing kettlebells about a month ago and I am really having problems again. Suggestions???? I want to continue my workouts with kettlebells!!!

Last edited:
Not yet. I have had TE in both elbows, and was worried about the kettlebell workouts making it flare up, too, but so far so good. I make sure to always keep a slight bend in my elbows, never locking them out. I also keep my kettlebell workouts to no more than twice a week. I also stretch my forearms A LOT during the workouts. Sorry you are going through this, TE really stinks.

Thanks Weathergirl. I've been stretching too, but so far it still bothers me. I'm hoping as time goes by it will just pass. I'd hate to give up such an awsome workout.

Maybe back off on the specific exercises that might aggravate the problem, which I think could be the upper body exercises (presses, cleans). Also, make sure you don't lock out on straight-arm moves (many KB instructors say to lock-out, but I see a bit of a bend in many instructors' arm).

Even if you back off from these exercises, you can probably still do swiings, front squats (do an assisted clean to get the bell into position if necessary).

Also, try stretching and icing (with a bag of frozen peas, for example) after every workout.

Thanks, Kathryn. I haven't tried icing after each workout yet so I hope it works. I really think the swings are what's bothering the elbow, especially the one handed swings. I'm going to lay off those for a while. I appreciate your suggestions. :)

I don't do kettlebells, but whenever I lift, I wear an armband, specifically for tennis elbow. I had a bad bout last year, and this has helped, along with stretching frequently and watching my form.

Doreen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.