Effects coming off birth control pills

Winter

Cathlete
Hi,

I am just shy of 37 and have stopped taking the birth control pill Lo Ovral. I was curious of the side effects I can expect. I have been on the pill or depo for 20 years.

I know every person is different. I am concearned about weight gain.

Thanks,
Winter

This is probably not what you want to hear, but...

I was on a low dose pill (Mircette) for 13 years. When I went off, I gained weight and my skin turned into an oil slick. I had never realized how oily my skin was until I wasn't on hormone control! Acne followed that and was horrible for me during pregnancy.

Cleared right back up once I went back on after I had DS.

I think most people lose weight. So I consider myself in the minority.

I had bad experiences going off of it too. I couldn't lose my post baby weight and I was irritable, tired, my hair fell out (not like to the point of bald spots, but I shedded terribly)... Went back on the pill despite having my tubes tied, and now I feel better, have more energy, have been losing weight... I eventually want to be off of it, but know that right now I have to be on it.

When I went off of birth control to get pregnant, I experienced VERY oily skin at first, but it did straighten itself out after a few weeks. I did not experience any changes in weight, but I did experience a lot of hair loss when I went back ON the pills after having given birth (which didn't happen when I started the pills originally). The hair loss lasted about 4 months, which scared me to death, but it did slow down then and eventually stop. I have heard that skin and hair changes can occur when going on or off, just due to hormonal changes, but I do think that the problems tend to correct themselves if you can wait them out. Good luck!

I hate being on birth control. I feel so much better off of it, I dont feel as moody when i am not on it. everybody expieriences diff things. No two bodys are the same

good luck
melissa

So far it has been 2 1/2 weeks since I have been off. Really the only thing I have noticed is a slight headache. I have not weighed myself. I don't really know when and if the side effects kick in.

Thanks for the input.

Winter

I also just stopped taking the pill. I was on lo ovral too! I was on the pill for approx.4 years. After I had my DS I got right back on and she is now 4. So I just stopped taking them last month in hopes of having another one.

I feel really wonderful less bloated and I feel that my weight doesnt fluctuate as much.

I've been on the pill for 14 years, and I'm taking my last one tomorrow. I'm excited and scared all at the same time. I want to have a baby, but at the same time, I'm very scared about what pregnancy will do to my body. I work very hard to stay in shape, and I'm afraid I'm going to freak out during my pregnancy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.