Eating clean, feeling fatigued

ejmslp

Hi Everyone,
I'm a lurker, but thought I'd "come out" for some much needed advice from all you knowledgable women!

I have been eating pretty clean for the last month or so and ever since have been running low on energy. One main symptom is that I get light-headed a lot easier than before. Mainly when getting up from a sitting to standing position and when I teach my Step classes (Not as much when I do my own cardio workouts). I do take a multi-vitamin (when I remember) and do think I get all my caloric needs met. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Eren

This has been happening to me too, and I'm wondering why. My cals are low but definately in the "safe" zone, drinking plenty of water and taking vitamins. I've been sick (head/chest cold) and maybe that's contributing? Weird...

Eren, getting lightheaded happens to me quite a bit. I spoke with my doc and he said that it's because my blood pressure drops when moving quickly from a seated to a standing position. The more fit I become, the worse this condition is. Maybe because I have naturally low blood pressure and working out seems to lower it even more. One nurse after taking my bp asked me if I was still alive. It was like 70/90 or something like that. Anyways, the doc said the only way to curb this is to simply move slower from a seated position. I really have to be careful when I do a lot of floor work - I can't get up as fast as Cathe does without almost blacking out. But if you haven't had a doc check it out and you continue to have problems, it may be time to visit with a doc just to be safe.

I also agree with Candi - take a look at your carb intake to see if it's adequate. If not, that may be one of the first things you change.

Terri

I am no expert, but I can tell you that when I upped my healthy fats, I had way more energy. I added in more oils, nuts, peanut butter. I made sure to stay in my calorie range. HTH.

Jessica

Ladies,
Thanks for your input. That all makes a lot of sense. I do have low BP as well as very low resting HR. And Candi is right, I think I've been so careful about getting proteins/fiber in my diet, I've been ignoring my good carbs. I'm going to increase my carbs and see what happens, then if needed check with my doc.
So glad I posted, you guys are great!

My blood pressure runs low as well. That's a good thing though, because lower blood pressure is highly positively correlated with longevity, even more so than a low pulse rate.

Yes, get more starchy carbs (brown rice, grains, yams, etc.) and also make sure you are well hydrated. We have the opposite "problem" as people who are hypertensive -- so make sure you get enough salt as well! It's a good thing!

>My blood pressure runs low as well. That's a good thing
>though, because lower blood pressure is highly positively
>correlated with longevity, even more so than a low pulse
>rate.

That's good to hear (as long as it's a healthy long life, and not many debilitated or sickly years at the end of a life)! I've always had low blood pressure, and definitely have to be careful not standing up too fast from sitting (especially when I've been sitting a while). I don't even like doing Cathe's Bootcamp workout as-is, because of the many changes from standing to floor abs (I always do it as the 'all but abs' premix, followed by the 'abs only' premix).

Yep, I have low blood pressure too. I have a hard time going from sitting down to standing w/out getting lightheaded/ dizzy. One day I was sitting here at the computer & heard my dh come home so I hopped up, ran up the stairs & went to give him a hug & passed out!!! Thank God he was ready to hug me so he grabbed me & laid me gently on the kitchen floor. I woke up to him saying, Jess, Jess, wake up! (w/ a washcloth on my head) So... moral of the story is... be careful when you go from sitting to standing!!

Healthy fats, also a very good suggestion.

I spoke from experience. Anytime I try to switch my food intake to less carbs, I experience low energy. Cathe's workouts are very demanding on glucose stores and require carbs. I must keep within 100 grams of carbs a day to keep my energy level up. Various carb sources for me are: brown rice, fruit (not over two per day) and lots of veggies.

I also have low BP. I read the thread rather quickly. Did anyone mention how important it is to eat salt and drink water? Those of us with low BP should always have a salty snack around and lots of water.

Avoiding salt is fine for others, but for us, it is important to keep up our sodium intake and drink lots of fluids. Fluids increase your blood volume, and therefore blood pressure, and salt helps keep the fluids in your body for a longer period of time.

Nancy

You should check with your M.D. on the salt thing, IMHO. I don't recommend anyone add extra salt to their diet. Water is very good though!

>You should check with your M.D. on the salt thing, IMHO. I
>don't recommend anyone add extra salt to their diet. Water is
>very good though!

I've checked with my fantastic MD..yes, additional salt is not a problem with low blood pressure. The high blood pressure folks need to watch it though. We LBP types need lots of hydration and a little extra salt.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.