Early morning exercisers- feedback?

Jkg501

Hello everyone,
I never expected to be forced to work out at home due to a worldwide pandemic, but it's been a silver lining of that. I had a brief stint of working out at home when I was in my early twenties, when I got in the best shape of my life with Cathe workouts. I'm so delighted to have returned to her workouts, and now that I'm older and accustomed to less sleep (thanks kids!) I'm not finding early morning workouts as painful as I did in my twenties, when I gave up on them and structured exercise altogether. Now, if I'm willing to get up early, I can workout 6 days a week instead of the 3-4 days I could fit in at the gym. WIN.

I'm gradually moving my mornings earlier, with a goal of getting up at 5:15 or 5:30, which would be compatible with the kids' school schedule when they eventually start again.

My question for all those who get up early to workout:
  1. Do you find it more difficult in winter when the mornings are dark? The bright mornings have certainly been helping this transition for me, but in winter where I live it might not get light until after 8.
  2. Do you find your energy for the workouts increases as your body adjusts to the earlier hour? I still feel that I had more energy for my 10am gym workouts than the 6am home ones, but I think it's getting easier....

Thanks for any feedback! I hope you're all safe and well.

Hi Jkg501, I am an early morning exerciser for years. I just find it easier to start my day with a Cathe workout. I must admit that I do find it more challenging to get up when it's still dark outside during the winter - I get up at 5:15 AM or 5:30 AM also but still continue to do so regardless. Yes, when it is light out at 5:00 AM, it does help to get myself started. I personally am a "morning person" and I work out on an empty stomach and feel totally energized once I get going. For some odd situation that I workout in the afternoon, I find that my energy level is not quite the same.

I just feel that, for me, working out in the mornings just sets a "healthy tone" for the day and then I'm ready for a delicious breakfast. So, I'm glad that you are getting back to your early morning workouts, just keep at it, it's one of the things we can do to help our immune system during this difficult time.

Take care - Stay healthy.

Thank you so much for your reply! I also feel that working out first thing sets a good tone for the day. I also find that when my workouts were at 10am, I often felt a little antsy to get to the gym, because I wanted to make sure I'd get to workout, and the morning time that came before it was not as relaxed. Now when I get up before everyone else it's like I've taken charge and the rest of the day is manageable, come what may.

And, let's face it - working out 6 days a week can take over your life a bit! But early mornings means it's just part of the routine, and doesn't take away from anything else. I'm loving it!

I am an early exerciser. My normal workout time is 3:45-4am. Yes some days it is tough but once I get started I am fine. I have been doing early workouts for so long that it is just normal for me. I found if I don't get it done in the morning I do feel yucky all day, and even if I plan on doing something later it seems like something will come up. Now during pandemic I am working out at 5:30 when hubby gets up to go to work. Since I am working from home it is later but once we can get back to going into the office I will be back to my earlier time.

I am an early exerciser. My normal workout time is 3:45-4am. Yes some days it is tough but once I get started I am fine. I have been doing early workouts for so long that it is just normal for me. I found if I don't get it done in the morning I do feel yucky all day, and even if I plan on doing something later it seems like something will come up. Now during pandemic I am working out at 5:30 when hubby gets up to go to work. Since I am working from home it is later but once we can get back to going into the office I will be back to my earlier time.
Thanks for your reply! I'm in awe of a 3:45 rising time, well done to you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.