E-cycles for outdoor riding ?

Debinmi

Cathlete
Hey Cathletes,

If you have an e-cycle or have looked into them --- any tips on what brands to recommend or to avoid? Any tips on what to look for? What has been your experience? How is the maintenance?

I have a older road bike & mountain bike and a more recent trail bike. I live in area with a lot of hills, some steep. But we also have a number of bike trails, mostly flat, some paved, some gravel & dirt - to access the trails we have to deal with some hills though. I injured my knee this past year & it's rehabbing well finally but I'm thinking of selling my bikes & getting an e-bike for assistance on hills in case I need it. I'm thinking an e-bike might allow me to enjoy outdoor cycle again as I age. Thoughts?

ETA: Our bike trails have changed rules to allow e-bikes (certain classes/lower speeds) on the trails to open the trails to more people with disabilities/injuries - so I'll only be looking at the lower class bikes to fit the criteria.

Last edited:
Interesting topic Debinmi! Look forward to reading info you receive. I see right many of
the E bikes around here.....
I never considered an e-bike until I received an email from our state DNR saying they were opening the rail-trails to some of them this year. I no longer ride on roads - we've had too many cyclists hit by vehicles, so I mostly ride the trails. Then I thought of all us aging baby-boomers with bad knees & thought it was a great idea for accessibility. Then I ran into a old classmate at our local Fair who was also had a limp from a knee injury - she injured hers on her e-bike due to not being familiar enough with the assist, but insisted she loves it now. So I want to know more.

I was really resistant to the idea of an e-bike for a long time but my husband finally talked me into getting one earlier this year. I’m fortunate to not have any physical limitations at this point but am definitely not the hill climbing spry chicken I was 25+ years ago, and I have to say the e-bike has made cycling fun again.

Most of our riding is on paved bikeways in our area, though we occasionally find ourselves on gravel. Our area is mostly flat with some hills sprinkled in.

We wanted bikes that weren’t significantly heavier than our previous bikes (which were about 35-40 pounds) because, in the event of a dead battery, I didn’t want to pedal a tank through a headwind for the last three miles of a long ride. And even though Cathe has done a fantastic job of increasing my overall strength, I also didn’t want to hoist one of those monsters onto a bike rack!

We chose Trek because my husband has been a loyal Trekkie (?) for many years and has never had issues with any of his bikes, and also because, after researching, it seems that people who go with the lesser-known brands or the cheaper ones from Amazon have found they can’t find anyone to help them if the bikes need service (or to assemble them). And Trek has locations all over the U.S. if we run into problems while traveling.

We opted for Trek’s Dual Sport+ 2, which is a Class 1 (pedal assist only, no throttle, up to 20 mph and legal on most bike paths/trails). With the Class 1 you don’t get any assistance from the motor if you’re not pedaling. In fact, the harder you pedal the more assistance you get, which I like.

It weighs in at around 40 pounds and has a 30-some mile range (assuming you’re using the assist the whole time, I guess, which I’ve never done). I only use the assist on steep hills when my legs are spent, or if I’m slogging against a relentless headwind and just want to be done. I've never come close to exhausting the battery.

I’ve only got about 250 miles on mine so far so I can’t speak to the maintenance question, though we just took them into Trek for routine (free) maintenance before an upcoming trip. They just cleaned them up and adjusted cables, brakes, etc.

The bike was an investment for sure, but I credit it with getting me out on more rides this summer. We have a wonderful rail/trail less than a mile from home, but the road leading to/from the trailhead is narrow and steep with no shoulder. Knowing that climb awaited me at the end of a 22-mile loop (and knowing I’d have a line of cars behind me as I struggled up the hill) kept me from riding as often as I would have liked. Now I just turn on the assist (while pedaling as hard as I can!) and fly up that hill. Almost makes me feel like a kid again.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it answers some of your questions!

I was really resistant to the idea of an e-bike for a long time but my husband finally talked me into getting one earlier this year. I’m fortunate to not have any physical limitations at this point but am definitely not the hill climbing spry chicken I was 25+ years ago, and I have to say the e-bike has made cycling fun again.

Most of our riding is on paved bikeways in our area, though we occasionally find ourselves on gravel. Our area is mostly flat with some hills sprinkled in.

We wanted bikes that weren’t significantly heavier than our previous bikes (which were about 35-40 pounds) because, in the event of a dead battery, I didn’t want to pedal a tank through a headwind for the last three miles of a long ride. And even though Cathe has done a fantastic job of increasing my overall strength, I also didn’t want to hoist one of those monsters onto a bike rack!

We chose Trek because my husband has been a loyal Trekkie (?) for many years and has never had issues with any of his bikes, and also because, after researching, it seems that people who go with the lesser-known brands or the cheaper ones from Amazon have found they can’t find anyone to help them if the bikes need service (or to assemble them). And Trek has locations all over the U.S. if we run into problems while traveling.

We opted for Trek’s Dual Sport+ 2, which is a Class 1 (pedal assist only, no throttle, up to 20 mph and legal on most bike paths/trails). With the Class 1 you don’t get any assistance from the motor if you’re not pedaling. In fact, the harder you pedal the more assistance you get, which I like.

It weighs in at around 40 pounds and has a 30-some mile range (assuming you’re using the assist the whole time, I guess, which I’ve never done). I only use the assist on steep hills when my legs are spent, or if I’m slogging against a relentless headwind and just want to be done. I've never come close to exhausting the battery.

I’ve only got about 250 miles on mine so far so I can’t speak to the maintenance question, though we just took them into Trek for routine (free) maintenance before an upcoming trip. They just cleaned them up and adjusted cables, brakes, etc.

The bike was an investment for sure, but I credit it with getting me out on more rides this summer. We have a wonderful rail/trail less than a mile from home, but the road leading to/from the trailhead is narrow and steep with no shoulder. Knowing that climb awaited me at the end of a 22-mile loop (and knowing I’d have a line of cars behind me as I struggled up the hill) kept me from riding as often as I would have liked. Now I just turn on the assist (while pedaling as hard as I can!) and fly up that hill. Almost makes me feel like a kid again.

Sorry for the long post, I hope it answers some of your questions!
DanaMal - thank you for your post! :)

I appreciate the comments about considering the weight of the bike - the closest approach to the bike trails from our house has a very steep, gravel & sand & deeply rutted road - can be dangerous even for 4-wheel drive vehicles at times. I usually could ride up it unless there was a fresh rain causing deeper ruts & soft earth; but I am uneasy about it at the moment with my healing knee. I would dislike having to push a heavy bike up it! I'm thinking I'd like a Class 1/pedal-assist & our local bike shop carries Treks. In fact all my bikes are Treks - I've been buying from there for decades. Thank you so much for your post! I'll be checking out my LBS this month!

You're welcome!

I thought I'd pass along the fact that the Dual Sport+ 2 is currently on sale--at least online. If you're leaning toward Trek you might give your local store a call to see which Class 1s, if any, they have on sale.

You're welcome!

I thought I'd pass along the fact that the Dual Sport+ 2 is currently on sale--at least online. If you're leaning toward Trek you might give your local store a call to see which Class 1s, if any, they have on sale.
Thanks! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.