E Book Readers

I've never tried another e-reader, so I can only tell you why I bought my Kindle 2 and why I love it:

1. No more book clutter!
2. Kindle books cost less than paper books, so, it saves money.
3. Instant gratification. Anywhere I am, I can think of a book I want to read and download it instantly. Or just an excerpt, to decide if I want it. (I downloaded 3 excerpts of books in the courthouse on jury duty).
4. Amazon has had every book I've ever wanted to read, and I believe that they will all eventually be available on the Kindle.
5. No fussing with newspaper pages. I read the NY Times on the subway with one hand.
6. The most important reason of all for me: it weighs less than most books, and takes up a lot less space, so it's easier for me to carry around than a book.

Having said all of that, if it's audiobooks you're interested in, I would just buy an ipod or other mp3 player. No reason to buy an e-reader if you're not going to be reading!

Sorry to be so long-winded. My K2 is my prized possession! It's a love thang.

Just recently, I did try to scan some pages into my computer and create myself a PDF file from that but the Nook wouldn't read that file.

I'm able to load my own pdf documents into my Sony 505 (not the most recent version). I load in my CE programs so I can read them whenever I get a chance. I've also put in pdf cookbooks from various places. And I use it to download free classics from google - which is easily accessible from the Sony reader store. Comes in handy when my son leaves his book for school at his dad's :p

Another Kindle 2 lover here. I picked the Kindle because Amazon is a great supplier and as mentioned before - every book every written will be out in Kindle format before long. Amazon will make sure of it. I also picked it because I can make notes, etc. I can read it in direct sunlight without needing a shade. It's also the perfect size. I really like it. The only thing the Sony has that the Kindle doesn't is the back lighting. (well at least one model does), so you can read it at night with no light. But that was not a deal breaker for me.

And Beavs - listening to a book is not the same as reading it. I'm a very visual person. I have to see something before I can really comprehend it. I can't listen to audio books because my mind takes trips on it's own, and I have to rewind to figure out what I missed. :p Print stays put until I hit the "next" button.

Wow. This is going to be a tough decision.

Beavs or anyone: What is the non platform specific reader? Whos making it and when?

Thanks everyone who gave me their input on this.

I have a nook, and I love it. I transfer all my school notes to pdf and download them directly into my nook. My husband has a kindle, and it's great, but I have to say I like the nook better.

Thank you to everyone that posted on all the e-readers. I jumped in and purchased the Sony Pocket Edition.

It was a tough decision. But for airplane, treadmill, and beach this will suit me fine. I typically have the tendency to think if you are going to spend a chunk of money for something buy the best. Currently, I purchase books through my library bookstore to send back home because they are so cheap, therefore, I will not do away with books so I used my common sense this time. LOL

Thanks again

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.