DVDs updated?

Pedmom

Cathlete
I pulled out an older dvd today (from the Intensity Series) and was surprised how much it bothered me that it doesn't fit right on my HD screen. It's small. If I change the aspect ratio, it's really weird looking.

If I ordered a new one (or the whole series), have they been updated at all to fit the 16:9 ratio?

(I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I didn't see a more appropriate section)

Aspect ratio

No, that's not something that is even technically feasible. You can't take a video that was filmed in a 4:3 ratio and re-edit it to make it 16:9. If you did this you would either have to cutoff everyone's feet or their heads. The only thing from an editing standpoint that you can do is put black bars on either side of a video and that would leave you pretty much with same result you see now.

Though it may seem strange to you today watching a 4:3 video it is only in the last few years that the 16:9 aspect ratio has become the new standard. Though a 4:3 video will not fill up a modern TV screen without distortion it still will be plenty big enough to see and follow and will be the same size as people watched for decades. It just seems strange now because TV's are bigger and now use a 16:9 ratio.

As for our newer videos, they have not been updated, they were just filmed in HD with a 16:9 ratio. We switched to filming in HD and a 16:9 aspect several years ago along with most other companies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.