dvd recorders?

shelia

Cathlete
I am thinking about purchasing a dvd recorder to record my vhs.Does anyone have one and does it work on all vhs.What brand where purchased and how much did yours cost and any other info. thanks

Hi,

I own a DVD recorder. At first I purchased a Panasonic DVD Recorder from Best Buy, but after about a month it started not to work properly. Thankfully, I had a full warranty on it, so I took it back 3 or 4 times for them to repair it, but they were unable to. So, instead they allowed me to exchange it for another brand. Right now I own the Phillips DVD recorder and it's been working great. I would recommend getting the Phillips, I believe I paid around $500 for mine, but I think prices have been going down since then. However, the Panasonic and Phillips use different types of disks that are not compatible with each other. Panasonic uses DVD-R/DVD-RAM. DVD-R allow you to finalize the disk, which turns it into a DVD-Video (which is just like any DVD you would buy) and allows you to play it on any DVD player you own. DVD-RAM is editable, but as far as I can see it will only play in your Panasonic DVD-recorder. The Phillips uses DVD+R and DVD+RW, DVD+RW are editable and I believe they will play in another DVD player (if it is DVD+RW compatible). And, it'll also play in the computer if your computer has a DVD player in it.

I hope I didn't confuse you ;), but in short, I recommend the Phillips over the Panasonic.

~Kathleen~

I have a Phillips too and it is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time...I love it and what it can do!

Robin

I was just wondering---what does this type of DVD recorder do? How does it differ from a DVD "player"? Can you make DVD copies of VHS tapes possibly? thanks in advance for any information---I'm a dunce about DVD anything...

dawna

I have a Panasonic DVD recorder and I think it is one of my best purchases ever. It is so easy to chapter and then move the chapters around to make a custom workout. This feature will only work on a DVD-RAM disc, which is more expensive than a DVD-R disc.

I've never had a problem playing a DVD-RAM disc on my other player. You do have to finalize it before you can play it on another player.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.