Dumbbells vs. Barbells

SirenSongWoman

Cathlete
I was just wondering if anyone else here has a distinct preference for one over the other, particularly due to physical limitations on upper body moves. I pretty much NEVER use a barbell for upper body because I have issues with my right elbow that require me to be able to adjust the position of my wrists throughout most upper body moves. A barbell, even an EZ curl, means fixed wrists, which hurts my elbows so I'm forever having to hassle with micro weights or go buy heavier ($$$) dumbbells. I wish all I had to do was just add more plates to the bar.

Me and my usual bunch of weightlifting friends were discussing this at work yesterday and it seems I'm the only one with this issue so it got me wondering... is it just me?

BTW, I never do direct ab work and my abs are looking great so at least there's some benefit to db's (core stabilization, etc.) over bb's. Still, it's a pain in the bum to not be able to use a barbell for bis and tris.

Stacey - I have also had wrist issues when doing certain isolation exercises with a barbell...curls in particular (when I did them). IMO, it forces the body into an un-natural range of motion. Our bodies don't normally move in single plane, so why lift in one?

I think it's cool to stick with dumbbells.

FWIW, I use a barbell all the time, but it's pretty much just power and Olympic lifts.

Stacey, I am in the same boat as you. I was in a snowboarding accident (minor, thank goodness!!) a few years ago and I really injured my elbow. When I use the barbell I feel a strain within the first 5 reps, so I just started doing all upper-body moves with dumbells.

My brother was telling me that you get different strength gains from using a barbell as opposed to dumbells, but he couldn't tell me what they were or why this is. Of course me, Ms Paranoid, started freaking out cuz I assumed I wasn't reaping all the benefits since I can't use the barbell. Has anyone else heard of/know the answer to that?

Here's a really good article from the CrossFit Journal regarding dumbbells in lieu of barbells. This one is free, so here's the link to it:

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/26_04_Dumbbells.pdf

Meliffy, looks like your bro may want to get his facts straight. No need for paranoia. ;)

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this article. I can SEE that all the extra stabilization I get using dumbbells is working my abs, and I can often FEEL it so it's good to know it's not all in my head.

I know during one of my recent STS workouts (end of M2 or first workout in M3... can't remember) Cathe said something about it being easier to lift heavier using a barbell and I was like, "Huh?" Then I realized I could never get around to lifting heavy with a barbell because I was wary of hurting my elbow(s). I think the heaviest I ever got with a barbell (even an EZ curl for LOWER body) was, maybe 30lbs. It's tough to progress if you're scared of your equipment! However, towards the end of STS M2 I was thinking the 20-pounders seemed light... wondering if I was kidding myself. But, not ready to invest in the next set of dumbbells (not cheap) I began adding 2-lb wrist weights, then 3-lb., then micro weights... I finally went and bought 25-pounders and now I'm already back to adding wrist weights, etc. on some moves... Like I said, dumbbells are anything but cost-effective. Still, if you're getting much better results...

Well, while I'm not happy others are having issues with barbells, also, I am glad to know it's not just me who feels unnatural doing bicep curls with wrists frozen in a fixed position. Thanks for the company, y'all.

It depends on the exercise for me. I mostly use DBs for upper body, w/the exception of bench press & straight bar bicep curls. Oh, I use the EZ bar for preachers curls too. DBs are supposedly good for evening out unbalanced strength--one side is typically stronger than the other for most of us, although I was thinking recently that working each side separately over the course of 2 decades doesn't seem to have done a damn thing to even out my strength. :mad:

Anyway, for legs I use straight bar for squats & lunges. I cannot imagine being able to use the same amount of weights for those exercises w/DBs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.