Doritos: the cause of North America's obesity epidemic?

Davidj

Cathlete
Robert Fulford claims that Doritos way back when started North America's mass snacking craze, snacking while TV watching. This was the start of our obesity epidemic:
Bet you can't eat just one

Fuford is a good writer, and this piece makes for an interesting read.
-- David

I haven't read the article yet, but I find it's funny you post that. DH and I will sometimes talk about the "Doritos phenomenon"

When I was a kid, Doritos came in 1 flavor - cheese. Then about Jr High or so, Cool Ranch rolled out. Those were the high falutin' shiznizzle of snacks when those came out.

Now there is a whole aisle (it seems) of just Doritos, and way too many flavors to blame.

That is our problem - too many choices, and we (the collective We) want to try some of everything. By the time you've tasted one of each, you've eaten a whole bag full. Not to mention that all the "flavors" are not real food. That's all it is "flavors" made from goodness knows what. Yes, there are 100s of apples, but they all still taste like an apple, and are made from apple, not "flavor"

When we kooky around with our food to make odd combos and flavors and goodness knows what, the nutrition goes out the window, and the obesity climbs in the window.

Nan

NAN "When we kooky around with our food to make odd combos and flavors and goodness knows what, the nutrition goes out the window, and the obesity climbs in the window."

We need to shut that window, lock it, and close the blinds. Dam(n) the doritos and full speed ahead with Cathe's new LIS!!

The good thing with me is that I like Doritos. I actually don't like all the flavors and don't venture to try them. I can't sit and eat a whole bag of anything so I'm thankful for that.

Much more than Doritos...

IMHO, it's all about being aware of what you're eating and making smart, educated choices. There's so much info out the online & in books, so it can be easy to get a handle on your weight.

A quick "for instance" - Friday I went to Wendy's with coupon in hand for a free single Dave' Hot & Juicy cheeseburger with a small fries & small drink purchase. I got a plain burger with no condiments, and a medium fries. Did not check the nutrition info before I went, and was a little dismayed to find out that my burger & fries amounted to calories. Dang - think what it would have been had I opted for a double with large fries! I should have been more prepared.

As for the Doritos, portion them out & don't sit in front of the TV with the open bag in front of you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.