Dominican Republic

Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic? I am researching a vacation and have been pondering visiting here.

We have been on several Caribbean cruises and are ready for an all-inclusive (I think!).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

TIA!
Jenn

Hey!
I mentioned maybe going there to a friend of mine after a client told me about a great vacation she had there with her daughter.
My friend proceeded to tell me exactly where I am going to stay and who i was going to talk to etc..
I don't remember it all but she said (in accordance with what my client had said) that I could get the most beautiful ocean view stay, ALL INCLUSIVE (drinks too) for less than $1500 each.. cheaper if you don't want the ocean view.
I can post a thread when I find out the more specifics.
I can tell you that the FOOD of the DR is fabulous and the stay is absolutely beautiful!
Id pick it over the Caribbean or Bermuda anytime :)

My hubby and I went to Puerto Plata in DR October 2001 (right after Sept 11th). Needless to say we got a great deal that included the flight on American Airlines. We stayed at a 5 star (Iberostar Costa Dorada or something like that). The resort was absolutely beautiful. The weather was absolutely wonderful (October is hurricane season) Everything was included. There was so much food and drink!!! There are 3 or 4 restaurants on the resort compound. Great shows nightly, and the staff do a lot of entertaining at the pool. Lots of folks from Europe vacation there. So you will see lots of topless and men in skivies at the beach. Bring some sort of a phone card long distance calls are very expensive. The resort does a wonderful job of protecting the visitors from small time vendors on the beach looking to braid your hair from $20 or schedule a fishing trip. If you want these services definately go through resort.

The only thing i did not like was going into town for some shopping. Everyone wants your money. People will actually jump into the cab with you and start to tell you about the sites then expect a tip (separate from the driver). Watch out for that. If we go again, I would defintealy not venture out and stay on the resort.

We hope to go again!! You will love it.
Carmen

We've been Punta Cana 4th year in the row now. We always take a one week (7-day) vacantion in Iberostar Dominicana either Nov or Dec. We booked early, so price is very good. This year we went Dec 8 - Dec 15, for me, DH, my 7 yr old DD & 3 yr old DS. Everything included was about $2500. We had a suite. It was no an ocean view. But the resort is very nice. It provides great service, excellent food, lot of activities.

My friend is booking for Feb. She told me the price now about $1300 for each person for the same package. Good luck. I hope you would enjoy it.

We've stayed in Punta Cana too, @ Excellence Punta Cana. THis was a few years ago. But, the all inclusive resort is absolutely gorgeous with some great restaurants too! THe food was good, plenty of it and ditto, to, plenty of drinks. WE had a blast.

However, we went around the first week of Nov. (just the end of hurricane season, prices pretty good then), and we had a lot of rain. It didn't ruin our time by any means, but, it would have been nice to have a little better weather.

We also experienced some upset stomachs. We were careful about the water and everything, but, our stomachs were "rumbling", even for about a week after we got home. This resort was closed for about a month before we had gone (just re-opening when we arrived) due to a nasty hurricane that did a lot of damage. So I don't know, if some bacteria got in the pipes or what. Now, saying that, I have not been back, but it was one of the most gorgeous resorts we've been too.

Last year, my Dh & I, decided to go to Mexico. Cancun. We stayed at the Moon Palace, and LOVED IT!!! THe food was great, and the resort was wonderful too!! THere is a water filteration system there too. THey have a wonderful filteration system. Never got sick or any yucky feeling. We did brush our teeth with the water, but did drink only bottled water. They are very good at making sure there is plenty of bottled water in your room! They restock your fridge with it and leave bottles near the sink too. We had a great experience and vacation there.

Jamaica, we stayed also, THe Grand Lido Braco. Abosulty wonderful!
Can't say enough great things about it. It is a little more expensive though.

In My Opinion, I personally liked Mexico and Jamaica better. Just because of the price, I'd definately go back to Moon Palace in Mexico.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time either way!

;-)

Thank you!!!

It is good to hear so many good things about the Dominican! I will use your suggestions as I do my searching!

We will be going at a peak time (spring break), so I hope that it won't be too crowded. The weather should be pretty good, though!

You all gave such good advice! Thank you for the help!
Jenn

I've been several times - it's amazing!! We stay at all-inclusive resorts and do lots of scuba diving. Once we had to drive thru Haiti and it nearly broke my heart. Those people are so poor and have nothing. I felt guilty going to such a posh resort. I figured I can't change the world, so I gave great big tips the the resort employees (who have it better than most but still struggle).

Look for Larimar jewelry, if you're into that sort of thing. It's a lovely, light blue stone that is found predominantly in DR. Also, locals go along the beach in the evenings to sell their wares (at least they used to) - I bought some really great art while there.

Enjoy!!

Every time I see this thread headline I read it as "Banana Republic" and I get excited that there's a killer sale. Never been to the Dominican, but hear it's great.

Do you know...I actually have dreams about sales at Banana Republic?

Hi, Jenn.

My boyfriend and I have been to Punta Cana the past two years. We went to Excellence Punta Cana from 12-1 to 12-8, and it was just Excellent! The place, the food, the people, the activities, everything! It's an all-inclusive, adults-only resort. We enjoyed it so much, I think that this is going to be a yearly retreat for us!

Last year at around the same time, we went to Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana. This was also a beautiful place. This is a family-oriented, all-inclusive resort.

TripAdvisor.com is a great site to research anywhere in the world you wish to go. It has country information, hotel information, customer reviews, hotel ratings and rankings within a particular city or region, and so much more.

Here's a link to Excellence Punta Cana:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Punta_Cana-Punta_Cana_Dominican_Republic.html

And here's a link to Melia Caribe Tropical Punta Cana:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...e_Tropical-Punta_Cana_Dominican_Republic.html

Enjoy!

Raquel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.