Dog Question

valentine64

Cathlete
What are some (if any) health problems that might occur down the line for a female dog who gave birth at a very young age? Our local rescue group has a cute spaniel/Corgi mix who is 1-2 years old and who has bonded with another dog she was rescued with who appears to be her offspring. I would like to know if there are any health risks that are likely to present themselves for this dog barely out of puppyhood who has probably already had puppies. Thanks for your knowledge and help!

I don't know either, but I agree with the other poster that your vet could answer any questions of that nature. I'm sure as long as she is healthy and is properly cared for, she should be fine. The dog sounds so cute, and bless your heart for choosing to adopt from a rescue group. There are so many shelter animals that are so wonderful; they just need good "forever" homes.

Would you also consider adopting the other dog who you think may be her offspring? It would be wonderful if they could be kept together, as it sounds like they have a very close connection, but I know it may not be in your means. I often think about how hard it must be for the mother to eventually lose all of her "babies" as they are sold to their new families. It's a little sad. :(

Please let us know what you find out and what you decide. I'm sure that little dog would be forever grateful to you for giving her (and her puppy, if you chose to adopt both) a loving home.

Good Luck!

I often think about how hard it must be for the mother to eventually lose all of her "babies" as they are sold to their new families. It's a little sad.[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack your thread but I had to respond to this. Years ago we had a weimaraner who had 9 puppies all of whom found their forever homes. Leia was a wonderful mother but when those puppies left she would have waved good bye if she could have. She was so relieved to see them go and get back to her "princess" life. She made us laugh as she greeted each person who came to see the puppies and wagged her tail goodbye when they each left with one. She was quite the saleslady.

Not to hijack your thread but I had to respond to this. Years ago we had a weimaraner who had 9 puppies all of whom found their forever homes. Leia was a wonderful mother but when those puppies left she would have waved good bye if she could have. She was so relieved to see them go and get back to her "princess" life. She made us laugh as she greeted each person who came to see the puppies and wagged her tail goodbye when they each left with one. She was quite the saleslady.[/QUOTE]

We had a collie when I was growing up that when she felt it was time to wean her puppies she would take them off into the field and come home without them. She tried several times to get rid of them herself.

We had a collie when I was growing up that when she felt it was time to wean her puppies she would take them off into the field and come home without them. She tried several times to get rid of them herself.[/QUOTE]

LOL! That is hilarious tho I imagine you must have had to keep an eye on her and the puppies. Those puppies are a lot of work!

dogs

As far as I know, no there should be no medical problems with a bitch that has had a litter at a young age. As far as the bonding goes, if you could take them both that would be a wonderful act. If we could adopt instead of buy dogs, that would be he end of all those poor helpless puppies. Anyway, please double check with your vet or even the rescue people

Good luck & thank you for adopting/rescuing

Karen

I would make sure she gets spayed ASAP. The only long term effects that would be possible would be mammary cancer as she ages. After heat cycles and pregnancy, there is an increased chance of mammary tumors when she is older. I sure would not let this dissuade you from adopting her as she will probably do just fine, but as she ages, you must check her mammary chain for any nodules.

Heidi

LOL! That is hilarious tho I imagine you must have had to keep an eye on her and the puppies. Those puppies are a lot of work!

One of her litters, one of them was taken off by the mother and never returned and we were devastated. A year or two later my mom met a lady who had some property a couple of ranches away and she had this dog that had the same markings as the puppy. She told my mom how they had found her as a puppy on their property so we hoped that she was actually the lost one. Do not for sure though.

Jean

Yes hopefully that was the puppy. Definitely sounds like it. I never stopped worrying about Leia's puppies even after they were in their forever homes for years. One litter was enough for us--got her spayed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.