Does anyone have their food delivered or picked up?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I get 99% of my food from a service that delivers to my house. It is all produce and mostly organic and local. I was wanting to know if anyone knows of other services who do this. I am happy with my current service, but want to explore other options and perhaps selection.

I currently use NaturesGardenDelivered.com and highly recommend it since you get to pick your items (rather than getting whatever they pick out) and can purchase whenever you choose (not forced to get it weekly, monthly, etc).

I was looking into BoxedGreens.com and FarmFreshBoxes.com I haven't used either, but may give them a try. However, they do not seem as flexible as NaturesGardenDelivered. I like to pick my food, I don't want them picked for me.

I have previously used BountifulBaskets.org and it was nice, however I didn't get to pick my produce, it was picked for me, and I had to pick it up myself (not really a big deal, but now that I get it delivered, it is really convenient - more so than I thought).

I have had friends use Market on the Move (MOM), but the format and location just won't work for me.

I have some U-pick farms in my area, but their public hours and location don't really work for me. I can make it out there if I happen to be in the area during their open hours.

We have "Farmer's Markets"...but they are more like craft fairs. The booths mainly consist of candles, trinket jewelry and maybe an apple or two.

I am hoping someone knows of other produce services. I really would like FRESH (I live in the desert and the majority of produce from the supermarkets are just not fresh. I haven't been to a supermarket in a couple of years now). I would prefer Organic/Local (usually if local would mean it is fresher than supermarket produce). I prefer a service where I get to pick the items (not have them picked for me) and would love it if they delivered (although not a must).

I can't do a CSA because of my travel schedule. I can't commit to a weekly box and it would be a waste.

My current service is great, but sometimes the selection isn't as varied as I would like.

Thanks for any input.

Don't have any ideas for you, just recently saw a story about CSA's in my area, don't really know the first thing about them, but I'm determined to find fresh, organic (or near organic) produce, and grass fed beef, pastured chicken, etc. in my area. Yeah, I'm pretty much the neophyte, though. Bumping.

Thanks for posting, Belinda! I've always wanted to try this but they are so expensive! The Groupon made it more then affordable! So excited! :)

Yes - I've done two different companies here in San Diego. Both are certified organic.

The first company was arranged through work and delivered every Wednesday to work. That one you got what you got - local in season produce and fruit. Small box for 2 people; large box for 4-ish. It exposed me to items I would have never tried before (beet, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc.) What I didn't like about it was that it was very fruit heavy for me. The summers you would get an abundance of fresh stone fruit - more than I could manage to eat.

Then our company moved locations and this wasn't an option anymore.

So I tried a Groupon deal for Farm Fresh to You. It has awful yelp reviews, mainly from people who try to cancel and can't get ahold of anyone. I love it, though. There are several subscription options (veggie only, fruit only, In season items, salad options for raw veggies) plus you can opt out of items you or your family does not want. Then the best things is you can personalize your box each week - have too many mushrooms from last week, well swap those out for some more fresh lettuce.) Then the second best thing - they deliver to my house between 8pm and 8am.

Edited to add that you can personalize your delivery for every other week, or one week of fruit only, one week of salad veggies, then one week of veggie only, etc. Plus vacation breaks, etc. There are deadlines for making changes, though.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.