Do your animals watch you work out?

I have a cape cod house so 2 of my bedrooms are downstairs. I use to workout in my living room and my dog Cinder would go on my son's bed and just go to sleep. Now I move all my stuff into the basement and he stills goes in my son's room and sleeps. I know because I can hear him when he walks around upstairs from the basement only when the doorbell rings. What a lazy boy, LOL.

Since I'm the first one up in the morning, the cats get excited when I get up to workout. First, they watch me have a bite to eat in the kitchen and then the male cat finds a comfortable spot on the sofa to sleep and keep one eyeball on me so he can go upstairs with me the minute I'm finished and be fed "his" breakfast. The girl cat sits in her current favorite spot which is on a towel on the shelf over the toilet (I keep a towel there just for her) and the she likewise follows me upstairs when I'm finished for "her" breakfast.

Sue

Yes, my Speck dog watches me while she sits on the couch. My cat sits on my stepper and watches Cathe and then watches me to make sure I am doing it right! LOL! Stinky for some reason just barks at me when I am working out...maybe she is cheering me on or something. When I do walking lunges in the house, they like to get in my way, but Speck is more prone just to look at me like I am retarded. LOL~

Charlotte~~

Oh yes my cats help me work out. They're my trainers!!! LOL George usually comes and sits on the nearby chair and sleeps, except when he wakes up to look at me like I'm crazy. Gracie helps during yoga.

Gracie cracks me up, since I keep her food on one side of the room when I'm working out so she has to cross in front of me when she's hungry. (If we don't watch her food 150% of the time George eats it.) It's so funny to watch her try and figure out where I'm going next and how to avoid me! George, my all black cat, doesn't care if he's on the black mat with me and my black/gray step. I have explained to him that I cannot see him, but he has confidence in me for some reason. It's nervewracking!

Fun stories in this thread!!!

I think it must be a territorial thing with cats. My old cat was extremely possessive and territorial.

My late kitty used to sit practically on my head when I was
>doing crunches--he'd be touching my head with half his body
>and he'd sniff at my sweaty hair and bite my head. Either that
>or he would lie down right along my side so that I would bop
>into him every time I did a situp, especially the obliques.
>When I did pushups or planks, he'd park himself right under my
>chest. Great motivation not to just fall down on the mat!

My cat totally does this. And lays underneath mean when doing pushups. And likes to climb on board and lay on my chest when I'm doing chest work. Forget about yoga - I could make a video - yoga for cats with her. haha!!

I have two Shelties. It's old hat to them now. They mostly ignore me. If I'm on the floor doing sit ups, the older one will occasionally come stand over me, looking down in my face. There's something about seeing a dog from below, with all that loose, furry skin under the neck that gets me laughing... plus the dog breath. Have to give her a gentle shove and tell her to "go on."

Sorry, double post... not sure how that happened.

How do you manage to do ab work while your dog's licking your ears? LOL

My kitty Laramie will often come and sit on me while I'm trying to do crunches! And my dog Sage loves to play ball when I'm working out! She will drop her tennis ball and run to the door of the exercise room and wait for me to throw the ball. If I don't throw it for awhile, she will lie down for a few minutes, then try again. Sometimes I have to be careful not to trip over the ball!!

Edited to correct grammar!

YES! Two cats both insist on being in the room with me, and then they sleep. Sometimes they lazily stretch-walk across the middle of the room to create extra obstacles. When I do sit-ups, one of them likes to lie on my stomach and then act insulted that I am moving when he's trying to sleep. They also love my yoga mat and try to squeeze on beside me, even if I'm moving around a lot.

They are always up to something!

Tonya

My cat barely bats an eylid when I'm working out. She's usually on the couch top cushion (her usual spot - we call it the ploompy place) and is curled up, oblivious of me. The only time she looks over is if she hears a lound noise...say, me dropping a weight or tripping over myself ;)

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.