Do you have home gym equipment?

40something

I have been shopping off and on for a home gym. I currently just use a bench and weights but I would really love to have a machine type unit that offers more options and especially a leg press.

Does anyone here have a home gym and which brand/type is it? I have been looking at Nautilus but the $$$ scare me off and I have been eyeing a Weider corner unit at my local sporting goods store that has a leg press and is under $500.

Any input would be appreciated. :)

Hey~My DH would be interested in the replies to this thread as he simply does not enjoy working out with videos...I think it's a guy thing?

He wants a Bow-Flex but the $$ is why he'd like to hear from the 'experts' in my little forum (his words not mine...)!

Sorry I can't help you 40something, but I'm glad you asked this question, thanks!

~kandy~
sport-smiley-003.gif

Hi, I started with a DP gym that attached to the wall. I used this for quite a few years. I have had a Bowflex for 1 1/2 years which I really like. I am not really impressed with the leg press on it compared to the DP I had but maybe if I added more resistanc to the Bowflex I might change that opinion as I only go to 210 lbs on mine. The Bowflex does not feel like as much weight as free weights do as you are using a cable system. That does not mean that it is not effective. I can get more muscle soreness in my triceps and quads using the leg extensions than I do doing free weights. Also I up my squats with the squat attachment and can get major resistance on the biceps. It is just different from free weights. Doing different methods of training is a great way to crosstrain.
Diane SUe

My hubby got me some home gym equipment a few years ago. It is excellent quality and well worth the money. The brand name is Body Solid and we purchased it at a local home fitness equipment store.(We did lots of shopping around before deciding on this brand) We have an FDI bench (flat, incline and decline positions). We also have the seated cable machine where I can attach a bar at the top and do pull downs for the back and can also do seated rows on the floor. I can also work inner and outer thighs by attaching strap to low cable. We recently purchased a leg attachment for the weight bench to work quads and hamstrings. I must admit I don't often use it though. Too much of a hassle to put it on and but will eventually use it when I need a break from squats and lunges. Here is their website for more info and you ccan find a dealer also. They have some very good total gyms as well. http://www.bodysolid.com/
HTH!

carolyn

I'm always trying to find out more about home gyms. It's fantasizing about when I will have a house big enough to have one. IN my search, I found this link:

http://www.trainersecrets.com/home-gyms.htm

Now , my ultimate fantasy? That would be to have a pro-spot gym. It is the coolest thing!
Freeweight action with your own spotting system. You can go as heavy as you like and always have safety.

Check out the link:

http://www.prospotfitness.com/pages/p500.html

The system has the barbell connected to four cables. your hands release the cables by completing the electrical circuit. When you let go, the cables instantly hold the weight in place. It is the coolest thing. The website tells you which distributors carry this. You can als find these on ebay every once in a while.

I just drool when I see it.

Good luck!
Danna

I bought a True 500 Home Gym from The Fitness Experience and love it. It was expensive. There is an optional leg press attachment that can be purchased. I will probably buy the leg press attachment when I can't safely lift a barbell over my head for squats. My suggestion would be to go to a fitness equipment dealer and try home gyms. Try the lower priced ones and also the more expensive ones to get a feel of how they work. Make up your mind after you try them. I had my heart set on a Parabody home gym until I tried the True. I still use free weights for some exercises.

Sandi

Thanks for the recommendation's. I'm going to check these out. I do have a dealer close to me that has the Body Solid units so at least I can try one of those and compare it to the Weider one I've been on. One thing I have noted is the amount of weight that each machine has. When I used to work out on machines could do 350# on the leg press. The Weider unit has 210# of weight...so apparently you get what you pay for.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.