Do any of you use kettlebells?

steppin out

Cathlete
I've been wondering about trying out a kettlebell workout. Do any of you have any workouts and/or kettlebell brands you would recommend? Also, have you tried the Fitness by Cathe medicine ball/kettleball and DVD and if so, what is your opinion of that?

Thanks so much for any input. I'm going on vacation next week and want to try something new when I get back/

I can't tell you which are good, but I have a Go-fit kettlebell that I wouldn't recommend. The handle is really uneven (the metal is lumpy)and it rips my hands up. I didn't have a choice (it was basically the only kettlebell I could find in my country), but I would definitely look for a smooth handle.

Good luck! Kettlebells are a great way to mix things up. I love my weekly KB workout!

I've been wondering about trying out a kettlebell workout. Do any of you have any workouts and/or kettlebell brands you would recommend? Also, have you tried the Fitness by Cathe medicine ball/kettleball and DVD and if so, what is your opinion of that?

Thanks so much for any input. I'm going on vacation next week and want to try something new when I get back/

someone recommended perform better kbells and I love it. It's got an attached rubber bottom. I think it is really pretty and has a smooth handle. http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4711_A_CategoryID_E_420

As for workouts I have AOS. A lot of people love these Art of Strength-I'm not a fan. A lot of people like lauren brooks-I haveen't tried her workouts yet but plan to.

Last edited:
I have several types of Kbells. I like the GoFit (but you have to try them in person. As handels mentioned, some have uneven/rough handles. Mine don't). I also like the Ader. I bought some from Perform Better, and don't like them that much.

I wouldn't recommend the medicine ball with handles that Cathe sells as a Kettlebell (in fact, I don't think of it as a kettlebell). It's far too light for a real KB workout, and the weight relative to size is different from a real kettlebell as well (The med ball looks about the size of my 40# KB, and it's larger than my 30#).

For DVD workouts, I'd recommend Lauren Brooks workout http://www.ontheedgefitnessstore.com/products/index.html
and The Kettlebell Way to a Perfect Body with Anthony Diluglio and Beth Chamberlin (also check out Anthony's site www.artofstrength.com , where you can peruse some free videos clips). Both of these DVD's have tutorial sections.

HTH

Hi steppin out - I have a couple of Perform Better and a Muscle Driver kettlebell. I like both, but handle size/feel are both items of personal preference that can put you "off" on a particular brand.

ITA with the Anthony DiLuglio suggestion.

There's a daily Kettlebell check-in thread over in the "Check-ins" area. There are a few of us posting regularly, but feel free to come join the fun! :)

I have a 20 (since 11/08) & 25lber (12/08) GoFit bells. I agree that if you get GoFit, you should do a hands on test first. I am on my second 25lber not b/c of smoothness but b/c the vinyl starting cracking apart. It has never been bumped unlike my 20lber, which fell on concrete and has not cracked/torn. I store it on carpet, so I don't know what gives.:confused: I was very pleased that the store let me exchange it w/o a receipt or asking how long I had it. I have to change it again though b/c the new handle is not as smooth.

I read most people started w/ 15lbs but outgrew them quickly. I didn't wanna spend a lot, so I just started at 20, which was great for swings. It was a bit heavy and I struggled to do cleans & presses and any overhead moves. By Christmas, I had mastered most of those moves and I was able to do follow along DVDs. It has taken a bit longer to master the 25lber. I am not able to use it for a whole DVD. I use it whereever there are swings, lower body moves, and rows. I am still building up my snatches and OH moves w/ it. I am glad to have it so I can use it for double bell moves, too.

I have several Kbell workouts--Sarah Laurie's V1&2, Lauren Brooks, Beth Chamberlain' KBW2, Kettlebell Bootcamp and Kettlebell Dynamics. The last two I have to modify somewhat. With Kettlebell Bootcamp, I wanted to make it a bit more authentic--keep the swings grounded, slow down some moves, and add breaks. Kettlebell Dynamics is mostly authentic Kbell moves for more advanced exercisers. I'd say it's on about the same intensity level as KBW2. It consists of three 20 minute workouts. Each workout has three sections which consists of usually 1-3 moves repeated 3X + a minute of cardio. This workout does not have as much breaks as other Kbell w/o's. Amy's breaks are 30 sec. It has separate w/u & stretch. I considered it a great workout w/ really fun music. Amy has great stage presence.

ETA: Some of moves include various swings, OH swings, snatches, cardio TGU (fast, w/o' weights), farmer's walks, waiter's press, clean&press. The more advanced moves I modify include pushups on the upside down bell (I lay the bell sideways), running/walking swings (I keep grounded), deck squats (I use my 6" step), side swings (I sub another move), renegade rows (I use DB's), and the higher impact cardio (I sub other Kbell moves).

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.