Do any of you get this?

eclair

Cathlete
My doc said it's fine for me to continue the exercises I normally do, as long as I don't overheat, and as long as I'm comfortable. However, any time my neighbors or relatives see me shoveling outside, or doing any kind of yardwork, they feel it's necessary to advise me to stop because it's bad for the pregnancy. Honestly, working out is MUCH harder than yardwork, and I feel that I know my limitations, but everyone seems to feel compelled to tell me what to do. Anyone else get this?

I would get many comments from people who saw me out jogging when I was 6 months pregnant. Isn't it bad for the baby??? Isn't the baby bouncing all around in there??? Of course, at 6 months my pace was pretty slow but I still heard comments from people. I would just tell them that my doctor said it was OK as long as I felt OK. People who make such comments most likely don't know of all the research that has been conducted with respect to pregnancy and activity.

The one thing that I would be concerned about with yard work is toxoplasmosis--you also have to consider that if you scoop cat litter. If you do any gardening, be sure to wear gloves and wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you're done. I know our neighborhood cats use my flower beds as a litter box sometimes because I smelled something when digging up some of my sorry marigolds last week. So take precautions there. Animals little gifts might also hide around your lawn, so wear gloves also when raking leaves and scooping up the piles for the curb or trash.

As for strenuousness? I would ignore your neighbors. While I believe that most people who have advice for pregnant women are well-intentioned, many have obsolete information--often women who have not been pregnant for years and years (for instance, my mother cannot fathom that I would like to avoid an episiotomy at all costs!).

Hope this helps a bit!

<<While I believe that most people who have advice for pregnant women are well-intentioned, many have obsolete information--often women who have not been pregnant for years and years>>

I agree with the above! And yes, I get it all the time, too. Just carrying something, and someone will tell me, oh, let ME get that! And I'm like, why? LOL!

Even my SIL, who appreciates my fitness and drive during this preg, always comments, after a tough set of pushups or posterior delt flyes, "You are a strong woman." People just can't believe that you CAN function like a normal person while pregnant, and you are far from sick or weak.

WTG! Like you said, as long as you are not overexerting or overheating, then go for it! :D

Michelle in So Cal
due 1/6/02

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.