DEEPEN YOU PRACTICE

Hi, Rafia!
Yeah, I have tried all the practices at this point! I've been meaning to post on this thread, but life has been busy and I guess it just got away from me. Anyways, before I say anything about my personal experience with DYP I should note that I have had a fairly advanced yoga practice for some years. I don't mean that to brag, it's just relevant to understand my review in context. I think DYP is a great program for somebody with an intermediate practice, perhaps someone who has finished UY, to go farther and advance their practice. I really enjoy most of the practices this series, and will continue to go back to them. When I practice on my own, I prefer to do practices that are stronger in the upper body, with lots of jumping through the vinyasas, and far fewer holds in Warrior 2, etc. Vytas seems to have several favorite poses, such as half-moon, that he puts in almost every practice. Fine, I just don't have the same state same favorite poses. I like many of the themed practices, and the strong balance flow. The gentle and intermediate balance flows are okay, but if I want to go easy on a given day, I prefer to lay off my legs, and not hold a bunch of Warrior 2s. I would much prefer the program to have a straight restorative or yin practice, such as the one in UY, instead of a gentle vinyasa practice. Also, I don't have time for tons of dedicated core work, and I'm not going to do that 1-hr core practice a second time. It bothers my neck and tailbone. I never practice boat pose anymore -- just hurts my tailbone too much.
Having said all this, I definitely think it's a good program. I would call it a creative but not eccentric intermediate-to-advanced power vinyasa series.
Do you have any favorite practices in the program? I think mine are Inversions, Backbends, and the Strong Flow class.
Oh also -- what's with no shoulderstands? Maybe it's some sort of liability thing? But what the heck? It's 'the king of asanas'. Talking about Iyengar yoga (as he does) and not including shoulderstands seems... odd.
Anyways, that's my two cents!
Roz

Hi, Rafia!
Yeah, I have tried all the practices at this point! I've been meaning to post on this thread, but life has been busy and I guess it just got away from me. Anyways, before I say anything about my personal experience with DYP I should note that I have had a fairly advanced yoga practice for some years. I don't mean that to brag, it's just relevant to understand my review in context. I think DYP is a great program for somebody with an intermediate practice, perhaps someone who has finished UY, to go farther and advance their practice. I really enjoy most of the practices this series, and will continue to go back to them. When I practice on my own, I prefer to do practices that are stronger in the upper body, with lots of jumping through the vinyasas, and far fewer holds in Warrior 2, etc. Vytas seems to have several favorite poses, such as half-moon, that he puts in almost every practice. Fine, I just don't have the same state same favorite poses. I like many of the themed practices, and the strong balance flow. The gentle and intermediate balance flows are okay, but if I want to go easy on a given day, I prefer to lay off my legs, and not hold a bunch of Warrior 2s. I would much prefer the program to have a straight restorative or yin practice, such as the one in UY, instead of a gentle vinyasa practice. Also, I don't have time for tons of dedicated core work, and I'm not going to do that 1-hr core practice a second time. It bothers my neck and tailbone. I never practice boat pose anymore -- just hurts my tailbone too much.
Having said all this, I definitely think it's a good program. I would call it a creative but not eccentric intermediate-to-advanced power vinyasa series.
Do you have any favorite practices in the program? I think mine are Inversions, Backbends, and the Strong Flow class.
Oh also -- what's with no shoulderstands? Maybe it's some sort of liability thing? But what the heck? It's 'the king of asanas'. Talking about Iyengar yoga (as he does) and not including shoulderstands seems... odd.
Anyways, that's my two cents!
Roz
Thank you for your response Roz,
I understand, everyone is so busy these days, summer is almost here, getting ready for either vacations or extra activities with kids [emoji28]
I'm glad that you like DYP and it's good to know that you tried all the practices, you're an advanced "YOGI" I say [emoji5]️. Actually I'm not that advanced or experienced. I started my yoga journey with THE ULTIMATE YOGI (I had some yoga DVDs before that I did few times but I never had much interest in yoga and I never took any live yoga classes) so when I started UY, I kind of like doing that and when I mastered them doing again and again, I needed something more advance than UY.
To be honest I didn't even knew that time, what many kind of yoga practices called or has to offer,like IYENGAR, YIN or BIKRAM to name a few and am still learning [emoji4]. I'm enjoying DYP and love seeing myself progressing.
I know everybody is different, you like to use upper body and want more flowy kind of practice that doesn't have much of standing leg poses but on the other hand I really like all the warriors and half moons. My favorites in DYP are Core, Inversions, Gentle Balance Flow & Intermediate Balance Flow.
About the shoulders, I didn't even notice that until you told me and you're right, he gave us many kinds of head and hand stands but no shoulderstand [emoji53].
Maybe after DYP yoga class we can do Burn sets (shoulders) from Xtrain [emoji12][emoji56][emoji12]

Rafia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.