Dance Class for Boys

runlikeagirl

Cathlete
My 6 year old DS is really showing and interest in dance. You should see him dance during Praise and Worship at church :eek:. He loves to dance he even dances without music. He told me the music is in him.

Do any of you have boys who take dance? What class should I enroll him in? I was thinking about Hip Hop or tap? This is all new to us. He plays base ball and Basketball.

TIA

Lori

I used to be in a jazz dance class and had a number of boys in the class with me; I think whatever HE wants to do will serve everyone the best! ;)

Although if he takes tap you've got to get him the shoes but in a hip hop maybe not. I know we had jazz shoes too. Hmm. :)

My 7 year old daughter takes jazz, tap and ballet and there are a couple of boys in all 3 classes. Ballet is definately more disciplined while the tap and jazz have more of a fun factor. The studio where my daughter takes lessons allows prospective students to try a class before enrolling to help you decide if it's what you are looking for. Perhaps you can find a studio that does the same.

What ever you do some macho jerk will call him a sissy.

If he does the more popular dance as he advances into adulthood he'll be popular with the ladies.

As far as the sissy thing, Lynn Swann formerly of the Pittsburgh Steelers use to to be quite the ballett dancer himself.

Let him make the choice.

Dance is wonderful for boys! It provides flexiability and strength. I was an assistant ballet instructor to college football players. Also there was a blurb on Sports South about a line backer who does yoga.

What ever you do some macho jerk will call him a sissy.

I would hate to live my life according to what some macho jerk may say!! And I would hate even more to have my kids live their life just to conform with what the majority may say.

I teach my kids that life is about doing what WE believe in and to stand up for we want to do and what we are passionate about. No matter what we do, there will always be some nay-sayers and there will always be some jerks. And no matter how we chose there will always be someone who says "Don't do that".

It is about realizing that we can't change how other people react, we only have control over what we do in response to it.

I am a strong believer in letting children chose the hobbies THEY are passionate about. First and foremost it is about my kid and not the constant nay-sayers. If dancing is what he wants to do, by all means do it, there are not many 6-year olds who have a clear idea of what they want, I think it is great!!!!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.