Damage Control

I'm on PTO this week. We have our condo but DH didn't take the time off work and I didn't want to go by myself. We've been unpacking and decluttering. We put together 3 bar stools for the kitchen island today. Our new bedroom furniture and and corner piece for the sectional are going to be delivered on Oct. 6th. I ordered a custom kitchen table and it will not get here until early December.

I started back working out yesterday. Yesterday was a heavy leg wkout and today was Upper Body and cardio circuit. I haven't been very consistent with my workouts. My work schedule sometimes get in the way. I feel like I should just get up earlier and get it done before I start work. Oh, I got a squat rack and bench for my birthday. I need to clean the cement in my workout room and see if it needs sealed or not. There is a lot of powder on the floor and it gets on my stability balls, weighted balls etc. I want to get that taken care of this week and have DS1 put together my squat rack. Tonight DS1 and walked around the neighborhood. I'm looking for landscaping ideas by looking at other corner lots. I think we are done spending money for awhile. We have until end of May or June next year and it's too late in the year anyway.

Just do what ever you like. I'm just trying to keep moving. I'm definitely slowing down though. This aging thing really sucks. Enjoy the fall colors!!

We've been getting a lot done in the house. Finally our furniture is scheduled to be delivered on Oct. 6th. We will be so happy to have bed to sleep in and not be on the floor. I've also worked out everyday M-F. It's easy to do when I'm off work.

How has your week been going?

I know-work cuts into all my free time, too! You are so fortunate to have a squat rack. STS Meso 3 will be awesome to do with it. Glad you had some time off to get organized and get your house more in order.

Things here are quiet-not complaining about that though-the older I get the less drama I want. Work has been challenging because believe it or not we are down 4 nurses and a lab person in my office. I never expected to see that in a doctor's office. So, everybody else has to pick up all the slack. The patient's suffer because of this. There are too many phone calls, e-mails, prior authorizations, and patients to actually see to be able to get it all done. It's painful to see. I don't know how much longer I'm going to stay in nursing. It's been nearly 12 years and I feel like I want to maybe start working part time.

My dad is done three weeks of his radiation as of yesterday! I'm making him soup today. He's having a real hard time swallowing at this point.

We're driving over to the Sheetz (12 miles away) for gas this weekend. That's my big outing! I try to stay unmasked all weekend.

Off to watch soccer, make soup, do my laundry, etc. Have a great weekend!
Beth

Wow, that is a huge nurse shortage for a Dr. Office. What else would you like to do, if not nursing? It is a very stressful career. My niece is still enjoying it, but she's just getting started. She really likes only having to work 3 days/week. I'm not sure I could hang with the 12 hour shifts. That must be brutal. Even a Dr. office, it may be less time, but constantly on your feet and moving all day.

Our bedframe and corner piece for the sectional arrived yesterday. No more sleeping on the floor! I think the living room window coverings may be ready next week, fingers crossed. Hopefully the bedroom window coverings will be here by end of the month. The house is finally coming together. It is taking forever though. The kitchen table won't get here until late Nov to mid Dec., and then we will still have to get chairs. I ordered the table online and don't want to get the chairs until the table arrives and we can match the color.

bbl

Not much happening here. I'm working Sunday for 4 hours at the Walk In Clinic and then have a 12 hour shift on Thursday. On the opposite end of that I am off next Friday so will have a 3 day weekend!

Still walking a lot and enjoying the last warm days. Making soups every weekend for my dad. Today's is clam chowder. He's lost 10 pounds so far-harder and harder to swallow. On Friday I'll take him to his appointment-at least I get to go with him once! After that he'll only have one week left.

So, really, not a whole lot going on!

Beth

I'm in an online training class 4 hrs per day this week. My brain is on overload and my company is pushing getting these certifications. It's so stressful. I did get in a workout Wednesday through Monday. Nothing yesterday or today. We have a cold front coming in and it's windy and cold today. It's been pretty nice thus far so I can't complain. I bought a new workout TV today to replace the one that was broken in the move. I think DS1 and I are going to set my workout room back up since the floor is dry now. I'm hoping he will put together the squat rack too. I just need to get a longer bar for it. I'm also thinking of getting a bike trainer so I can use my road bike as a spin bike. I just don't feel comfortable riding on the streets anymore.

It's getting to be soup weather here too. I may pull out the autumn fresh start recipes. I think those have some nice soups in them.

Glad to hear your dad's treatment is almost over. I hope he makes a full recovery. I can't imagine how stressful that must be. I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year (my first time ever). There too many people at my SIL's and my MIL won't go over there with so many people. The girls will be here too. There will just be 8 of us and that's just fine with me. Will your DS2 be coming home for Thanksgiving or Christmas this year? Is he still liking his job and liking California?

ttyl

DH isn't sure he wants to have Thanksgiving! We still might and it there would be 7 of us here. DS2 probably shouldn't fly until there's a vaccine. He still likes Cali. He's putting his application out now. He has some master plan of how long he wants to stay in jobs and feels like he's ready for the next step. He has a new girlfriend, so we haven't heard much from him.

Covid is really ramping up here. Our county is now in the orange. It's getting scary going to work. Friday I finally had a day off. We got our affairs in order with our lawyer which was one of my goals this year. I was also able to take my dad to his treatment and spend a little one on one with just him-so nice!

I'm making butternut squash soup today. Still walking and doing lower body weights. I pulled my trap muscle and am letting it heal before doing any upper body for a while. It's hard to sleep, so I know I better rest it.

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Beth

I'm not sure if seen on the news, our state is on fire. We have so many fires burning, and we are between 3 of them. Saturday we had yellow air quality. The smell of smoke was so strong and the ash covering the cars was horrible. We had 2 new fires start this past weekend. We desperately need some rain.

Some of our counties are seeing an increase in Covid cases too. The county mayors are limiting the number of folks allowed to gather to 5, down from 10. Wear masks inside and out. I don't wear a mask outside. I'm by myself when I walk and social distance if someone is near. We need to get a handle on this.

My weight has been pretty stable and I'm going to go back to the Galveston diet. It's a higher fat type diet-not keto though. It's high in anti-inflammatory foods, lots of nuts and seeds, fresh vegetables and fruits and limited meat. I'm continuing with thewkout app and throwing in Cathe on occasion.

Did you see there is going to be a virtual road trip? Sounds like it will be 11/13-14, or 11/20-21. It sounds like a lot of fun, but not sure I'm willing to pay for it since we can't be in person. I'm thinking about it though.

Our window coverings are being installed tomorrow in the family room and the master bedroom patio door. The rest of the master bedroom should be installed the last week of Oct or 1st week of November. The security cameras are being installed on Wednesday and on Thursday the new home warranty rep will be here to go over our list and get everything scheduled. Finally, things are coming together.

Your soup sounds delicious. I need to revisit my soup recipes. Glad you got some one on one time with your Dad. Cherish every moment. I'm ready for this pandemic to be over too. I can't imagine working in health care. Hope your trap heals quickly.

ttyl

I had a good workout week too! I try to study 3 times a week, but because of the quarantine will soon close the halls, and have to think of something else. Maybe I can find here something for home workouts.

Welcome DGaves. Tell us more about yourself. It sounds like you are a student. What are you studying? What kind of workouts do you like to do?

I'm so thankful to be off work tomorrow. We have a lot going on at home and at work. The warranty rep and super were here today to go over the 30 day checklist and we have a date on the calendar to have the work done. Tomorrow the tv is being mounted over the fireplace.

How is your week going?

It's the weekend-which means no mask for two days!

DGaves, welcome! As Diana said tell us what you like to do and what you're studying.

Diana-how was your extra day off? How are the fires? I am hearing horror stories on the news about people having to evacuate and over 100,000 acres burned. How close are you? Did you get a workout in?

My back is still twinging. I've stopped doing overhead tricep extensions-I think that irritates it. I'm hoping to do a walk and upper body today. Other than that-the usual-wash, meal prep, and soccer!

Stay safe,

Beth

We finally have all our window coverings installed. I'm very happy with them. DH is happy to have the cardboard out of the windows. We have blackouts in the bedroom which should help him sleep better. I've been keeping busy at work, and have to test for a certification. I'm trying to get it scheduled for next week. My workouts have been going pretty well. Have you done any of the Perfect 30 w/o's? I didn't pre-order, but I have on-demand and may give one of the short circuits a try tomorrow.

Hope you are having a great week.

It was a hectic week last week. I was on call and that is always a bit stressful. I'm going grocery shopping later today. I hope to make some fall soups this week and freeze them. There is just so much work to be done here and I'm just not motivated to do it. I'm going to see if maybe my sister can come over and help me tackle this stuff. Honestly it would only take a couple hours but I just can't seem to get myself going on it.

What have you been up to? How was your week.

I've just been rolling along. I was within 3 feet of someone with covid on Wednesday. It's really closing in here-schools are shutting down again for a while. Now that the clocks turned back it'll be dark at 5PM so I won't be walking to and from work. The number of workouts I'll be able to get in will be cut down considerably for a while. Guess I could focus on my diet. I wish I lived near you-we could tackle things together! Honestly, you have so much on your plate with the move, your studying, and your job. I don't know how you do it all.

Walked today in the rain. This weekend I am using Fit Split-did push workout yesterday and am doing pull later today. I'll see how it goes this week without walking if I feel like doing more days after work-all summer I just did an upper and lower body workout.

Beth

This has been a good week! I am able to work 1/2 days on Thursdays and Friday for all but one day this month-plus be off Thanksgiving on Thursday and Friday. It means I can walk to work those days since I get done at noon. Originally I was only given 3 out of the 6 days I asked for-yesterday they came and said they were able to work out two more (next week). So I'm much happier about things at work.

My provider had her baby on Halloween! He's a cutie. I'll basically be with two doctors until she returns. I think I can deal.

Workout wise I did legs on Monday, upper body Tuesday, cards Wednesday and am planning upper body today and walk and lower body and walk tomorrow. I'm leery of indoor cardio because I really don't want to throw my SI joint out.

What's up with you this week? Have you taken any tests yet? Is that an ongoing thing or after you're done you're done for a while? Are you finding any time to work out?

Beth

It's been a good week so far. I am off today and will be working out in a bit. I'm still following thewkout and doing those most days. I think what I like about it is its similar to taking a class at the gym. I enjoy all the variety, and they are super challenging for me. Day before yesterday I did a cardio-core workout and I thought it would be a lighter workout. It had sprints on the bike (I use my elliptical) and I felt a little pukey by the last round. Yesterday I just walked around the lakes in my neighborhood, it's just over 3 miles round trip from my house. It was 75 and beautiful!

I haven't taken any tests yet. I'm just doing a review and am trying to schedule the test for week after next. I have terrible test anxiety but I committed to my boss that I would have these certifications by year end. I was going to try to test this next week but I'm in a training class. I'm sure I'm making this harder on myself by stressing so much and will feel much better when the test is behind me. I'm sure there will be more certs required next year. We are transitioning to a new platform so we all need to be trained. I think the company must get some kind of break from the vendor for employees obtaining certifications.

DS1 was exposed to COVID and they shut down his office. A COVID test is being overnighted to him and he has been self quarantining. He does not have any symptoms. If his test comes back negative, he can return to work. It sounds like he was exposed last Friday and notified on Monday afternoon. His quarantine time will probably be up before he gets his test results back.

We've finally stopped the bleeding money now. The only other large expense we have coming is the landscaping in the backyard. I'm going to be getting a few estimates and then we will decide. It has to be installed by the end of June. We have some time, but we want to know the costs now so we can be prepared. We will also be purchasing a living room set for the basement and a TV. We don't need those right now so they are on the back burner for a bit.

Walking and alternating upper and lower body is perfect. There is something to be said for staying strong and living pain free. How is your Dad doing? Is he done with his treatments?

How was your weekend? All I ended up doing was walking. I had a Shingrix vaccine on Friday and had a fever, muscle aches, and just felt lousy until late this afternoon. I really don't want to get Shingles though so have to get the second shot in 2-6 months. Oh well. I went to bed by 8PM on Friday and Saturday and finally feel rested! Lots of soccer on this weekend, so that was nice!

My dad is ok. His quality of life though is not good and it makes me sad. He did see one of the docs in my office on Thursday and got an antibiotic for his ear that was bleeding and it is drying it out some.

How is Kody? I hope he doesn't have covid. Our county is now in the red and there are way too many cases. Hang in there with the tests. Remember-they want you to pass!

3 miles is a perfect walk. Do it every day!

Beth

Hey lady! Are you guys alright? We have ended up completely cancelling Thanksgiving with everyone here. My dad now knows people who have died from Covid and it is finally sinking in to him how dangerous it can be. I think I'm going to just do a take out dinner for DH, DS1 and myself for Thanksgiving. Easy peasy!

Started some deep cleaning this week to try to gather back the house. DH does the basics each week and I don't really need to organize and purge as much this time around. Last time I deep cleaned was in April when I got furloughed.

I had an idea to take off two weeks at work, drive out to see DS2 and then quarantine when I got back. I'm trying to talk DH into it-we'll see!

Off to clean more today. Probably the living room.

Beth

Yes, we are all good here. His test came back negative and he was able to return to work. At this point we are still planning on hosting Thanksgiving, but that could change. The girls will be here next Saturday and leave the following Saturday. If the weather is nice we can use our covered patio and also the garage. We are expecting a total of 15 people. I will be doing a thorough house cleaning before and after. It looks like in the last day or so our daily cases are starting to decrease. I hope that is a sign of a downward trend. 4 of us are home all the time, DH doesn't work with anyone else, the girls do remote learning etc. I did skip a baby shower yesterday for my nephew since there were going to be over 30 people.

Our cases are on the rise too. Most of our schools are going back to remote learning through the remainder of the year. I actually thought they should've stayed remote from the beginning. We had so many schools go back to in person learning then having to go remote for 2 weeks due to positive tests.

I'm keeping up with my workouts for the most part. I had 2 unexpected rest days last week due to work. I'm fine with that since I don't schedule rest days and they usually occur naturally once or twice a week.

I took care of a couple more boxes in the garage and basement. DH has grown tired of the mess in the garage and hasn't looked at it in a few weeks. it's very frustrating. DS1 and I have a plan and will probably just go buy what we need and finish it up ourselves.

I think a road trip sounds awesome! Has your DH bought into it yet? Has he been able to get back to bike riding after his accident? We have so many car/bike accidents that I haven't been on my road bike in a couple years. I love you TG dinner plans, easy peasy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

ttyl

I did RWH LIHI legs and abs this morning. I haven't done a Cathe w/o in awhile and it was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed it.

Well my niece just notified me that her husband just tested positive for Covid. They won't be coming over for TG. So far, the girls are supposed to get here on Saturday, but that could change.

Hope you are having a good week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.