Cymbalta/Lexapro Response

baylian

Cathlete
I decided to post a new thread to continue the discussion.

I am in full agreement that these drug companies DO NOT tell you the full impact of going OFF the drug. When you start these drugs they tell you what will happen but not the withdrawel.

I have been on Cymbalta for 1 year. I had the typical symptoms - nausea, sleep pattern disruption, weight gain (15 solid pounds thankyouverymuch). I started with 20 mg, then went to 30 and then to 60. The 60mg was terrible - could not sleep so I pulled back to 30 and was holding my own.

This has been a very difficult year - lost my rear in real estate job, husband has had worst year ever in his job, went back to school, started a part time job, father diagnosed with cancer and dealing with a tween.

Three weeks ago I did not pass Microbiology (C- and needed a C) and that sent me into a tailspin. No Nursing school for me. One year of school flushed down the toilet. Fathers cancer returned and Christmas was here. I went off Cymbalta cold turkey (I know, I know but money was tight and I was not going to spend another $40 for my script).

Here were my symptoms - brain zaps, vertigo, teariness, excessive sleep, extreme thirst, dizziness. I am feeling better but some days are better than others. The brain zaps are the WORST! I am determined to get off these drugs once and for all. I am also going to start a detox come January. I have been watching Gillian McKeith's show on BBC America called You Are What You Eat. She has a new book out called Slim For Life with a 28 day detox. I can't wait.

Just wanted to put in my two cents of an experience.

Best wishes for 2008

(((baylian))) I just wanted to send you a hug and let you know that I am hoping you have a much better 2008. I also hope that when you are up to it you will give microbiology another run. I hate to see you flush school and a career down the toidy over a C-. I will keep you and your dad in my thoughts.

Thanks Beavs! The idea of doing another semester of Micro just makes me want to heave. Our community college is 40 minutes away and driving out there twice a week was a major pull on the gas bill.

I am 48 years old and I don't think I have it in me to do it again. I missed by 1.5%. I had a hard time studying the last couple of weeks. This was the hardest class I have ever taken. The homework alone was 10-20 hours a week. This prof was 65 years old and brutal. I was registered for Pharmacology but was so upset I dropped out. I could have gone into LPN but there are not that many jobs around - many hopitals (at least here in mid-michigan) are phasing them out. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I have entertained the thought of dietetics or nutrition.

Toidy - LOL! My mother used that expression alot!

I got "toidy" from watching MASH. Actually, being a RD could be good and I think the field needs some savvy people like you. I have to admit, I am stunned by the food that is served in hospitals and nursing homes. Maybe you can be part of that wave of change ;)

What a rough year- I'm sorry for all that you've been through! Regarding your class, you were soooo close to a C; have you spoken with the professor about it? I'm in a humanities discipline, and sometimes, especially when there are extenuating circumstances, I can usually find a point or two to help someone out... It never hurts to ask!

Warm wishes:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.