Cord to hook Iphone to tv?

kblvr

Cathlete
I'm almost at the point where I'm ready to hit that order button for the downloads...just one more thing. Since we can't make a DVD of a download, I've heard we can hook our IPhones/IPods to the tv. What kind of cord do I need and how do I know if I have that connection on my tv? I hope the question makes sense. Thanks!

To connect an iPhone, iPad, or iPod to your television you need to determine on the back of your television if it has a composite or component video connection (no other types of connections are currently supported):

• If your TV has a composite connection, there will be one yellow video jack, and red and white audio jacks. You will then need to buy this cable to connect your device to the TV (you can purchase this online at Apple, at an Apple store, and some third party retailers such as Best Buy sometimes stock it): Apple Composite AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)
  • If your TV has a component video connection, there will be red, green, and blue video jacks, and red and white audio jacks. You will then need to buy this cable to connect your device to the TV (again, you can purchase this online at Apple, at an Apple store, and some third party retailers such as Best Buy sometimes stock it): Apple Component AV Cable - Apple Store (U.S.)

However, if you have an iPhone 4S or iPad 2, you can also use an HDMI connector for your television if it supports that type of connection (again, you will have to check the back of the TV to see if it has any ports labeled "HDMI"). You can purchase this through Apple, also: Apple Digital AV Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
Please note that this cable DOES NOT come with an HDMI cable, which you will have to purchase separately. They come in different lengths which you can chose from, but can be costly.

You can also use an AppleTV2 to send video wirelessly from many iPhones, iPads, and iPods, but not all. This is an excellent solution and works very well, but the setup and configuration is beyond what we can discuss here. Here is a link to Apple's site for information: Apple TV - Watch HD Movies, TV Shows & More from iTunes & Netflix - Apple Store (U.S.)

Hope this helps!

I use the cord thing to connect my iPhone to the TV to do my workouts, and it works ok, it is difficult to fast forward, pause, see how much time is left in the workout-etc... but I have been eyeing the AppleTv as an alternative easier solution. Curtis, thanks for the affirmation- perhaps Santa will put one under the tree for me this Christmas...

If you go the HDMI route and need a cable, look for it on Amazon. I bought the one that is quite inexpensive and it works just fine. You can spend less than $5 for this item. The cable from Apple you need is $39, but all in all you can get set up for less than $50.

Thanks guys! Don't know how I missed this yesterday! I'm hoping my husband can help me figure this out!

They do make a cord that has both hdmi and the composite(or whichever has three colored plugs). I have hjis for my iPod and it works great

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.